Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Battle of the Atlantic/Merchant Marine

Story

I'll Lock Up
HACKENSACK — Members of the American Merchant Marine Veterans may be in line for medals for their service during World War II — from the Russians.
Merchant marine veteran Sam Bassini, left, listening to a Russian delegate at the New Jersey Naval Museum in Hackensack.

About 30 members of the Dennis A. Roland Chapter of the Merchant Marines met a representative of the Russian mission to the United Nations on Saturday at the offices of the New Jersey Naval Museum in Hackensack, where they learned of plans to honor them for the often lifesaving shipping convoys and runs through dangerous waters during the war years.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/international/68163512.html

Chas

One Too Many
My dad served in the RCNVR from '41 to '45, he was a Leading Coder on HMCS Moosejaw, HMCS Saskatoon and HMCS Huntsville. While on Huntsville he witnessed a sinking of a U-Boat in the Irish Sea in '44, was in a convoy attacked by guided bombs (shown below), witnessed the deaths of ships and men. He was also one of the early HF/DF operators before the job was reassigned to the WRENS.
mistel-us.jpg

He chased girls in Montreal, Glasgow and 'Derry, lost a lot of friends, survived and raised a family. I miss him quite a bit, and he was a "bit of all right".

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
These are seventies-era photos of the remains of the coastal gun mounts at Cape Lookout. The mounts have long since washed into the Atlantic, but when I was young, they were still high in the dunes. In the fifties and sixties, local kids played endless hours in the abandoned WWII fortifications. I can only guess at how many U-Boats we sank with imaginary cannon while our parents happily sunbathed just down the beach.

Gun-Mounts.jpg
Cape-Lookout-Gun-Mount.jpg
Gun-Mount-Cape-LO-View-2.jpg

AF

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
It would be nice to hear from Merchant Marine vets at WWII events. It surely is a very under-represented (and under-presented) group. As most events just focus on land and air - and very few of naval (on either side) and much less with regards to the Battle of the Atlantic as a whole.

RE Finch: Are there some good photos of what those coastal gun emplacements looked like during the war? If you've got some - please share. :)

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Prien said:
RE Finch: Are there some good photos of what those coastal gun emplacements looked like during the war? If you've got some - please share. :)

Prien, I wish! I've searched for years and have yet to find a singe photo of Cape Lookout's gun emplacements as they appeared during the war. They were manned by the U.S. Army...and I have met a couple of guys who were stationed there during the war...but I've got no closeup photos.

I did find this aerial photo of the garrison. For those who are familiar with Cape Lookout, the view is toward the north...Barden's Inlet (much smaller than today) is visible at the upper right and Harker's Island is on the horizon at the extreme upper left. The garrison appears in the lower right. Sadly, even this photo doesn't show the actual gun mounts, which would be just out of frame at the lower right.

WWII-Army-CL.jpg

AF

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
My uncle got home from the Merchant Marines before the telegram telling my grandmother (his mother) that he was killed. He then went into the Navy. I'm not sure where he served or on what ship(s).

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
RE Finch: Thanks for the other photo! It shows a good view even if it doesn't show the guns. Bummer that, for now at least, you haven't come across such a photo.

On the Living History Worldwide network recently - I had found a young lady I met while down at Ft. Miles 2 years ago (she does several American impressions). I had asked her how the Fort was doing and she said that they got the searchlight up and running and there were some other things they got up. They're making quick work of it which is good to hear!

RE Story: That's another good photo. It would be nice if any remaining coastal forts could be restored like they're doing at Ft. Miles. I am amazed at the lack of interest that I've seen, for the most part, regarding America's involvement in WWII w regards to the U-Boats - as the U-Boats did attack of the U.S. East coast and Gulf coast in Paukenschlag (Drumbeat).

RE Witch: It would be interesting if you could find out more on your uncle. I don't know if there's any archives in D.C. that would be of help or not.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Prien said:
RE Story: That's another good photo. It would be nice if any remaining coastal forts could be restored like they're doing at Ft. Miles. .

That campaign is a niche interest, a mote in the eye of history. Considering that Revolutionary War- era battlefield parks are being closed /mothballed due to the current economic situation (and the Revolution is occupies more of history's limelight), it's not surprising. Furthermore, when you look at the salt-water damage to steel and concrete, as well as coastal erosion, it's just not economical.

As far as all the local coastal museums go, I'd think the defense layouts would lend themselves to some pretty nice dioramas in 15mm or 1:72nd scale, which would get the salient points across to tourists.

For Coastal defenses, this is a good thread too http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=30461

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Chas said:
My dad served in the RCNVR from '41 to '45, he was a Leading Coder on HMCS Moosejaw, HMCS Saskatoon and HMCS Huntsville. While on Huntsville he witnessed a sinking of a U-Boat in the Irish Sea in '44, was in a convoy attacked by guided bombs (shown below), witnessed the deaths of ships and men. He was also one of the early HF/DF operators before the job was reassigned to the WRENS.
mistel-us.jpg

He chased girls in Montreal, Glasgow and 'Derry, lost a lot of friends, survived and raised a family. I miss him quite a bit, and he was a "bit of all right".

The "Greatest Generation"...my Dad went to sea on a converted merchant marine ship ...the first HMAS Manoora. What he saw on those landings and around the "Far East" theatre was indescribable....RIP.

glmorga

New in Town
Garrison at Cape Lookout

Mr. Finch,

Do you know the date of the photograph of the garrison at Cape Lookout? I have been conducting reserach about the Cape and the photo holds some important clues. I would be most appreciative to know the date of the photo, or where it came from so I can reserach the date.

Many thanks,

glmorga (Gary)

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
glmorga said:
Mr. Finch,

Do you know the date of the photograph of the garrison at Cape Lookout? I have been conducting reserach about the Cape and the photo holds some important clues. I would be most appreciative to know the date of the photo, or where it came from so I can reserach the date.

Many thanks,

glmorga (Gary)

Hi Gary,

It is a photo that I found on the net. Think I googled "Cape Lookout garrison" or "Cape Lookout army"...or something of that sort. I can't remember if the photo was dated, but the garrison wasn't active for very long. As I recall, it was built in 1940 or 1941 and was abandoned shortly after the war. My first memories of it are from 1959 or 1960 and it was half buried in the sand, even then.

I note that you hail from the Crystal Coast. I'm certain that there are senior locals still living in Beaufort and Harker's Island that could tell you much about the Cape during WWII. May I also suggest a trip to Snug Harbor or Taylor's...both down at Sealevel. I'm pretty sure that some of the residents there would happily talk your ears off about the war years in Carteret County.

AF

glmorga

New in Town
Breakwater Photo

Mr. Fitch

Thanks very much for your reply.

My interest in the photo is rather obscure. If you examine the northern edge of the dark area in the center of the photo (closest to the inlet in the background) you will see a perfectly straight feature running east –west; most unusual for a natural area. If you have difficulty finding it, applying a straight edge to the screen will make it more obvious.

I believe this is a photo of the breakwater built in 1915. This may well be the last photo of the breakwater before it was covered with sand as it is today. Having the photo has been very useful for my research, but knowing the date would be a bonus. When I searched as you suggested I get a link to the photo on Fedora. If you ever run across the date I would be most appreciative to receive it. My guess is this is around 1950 based on the width of the inlet.

Thanks again!

glmorga (Gary)

glmorga

New in Town
AF,

Sorry - northern most edge of the dark area in the center of the photo just to the left of the garrison. On the main body of Cape Lookout.

Closest to the inlet (edge of the dark area) in the background was confusing.

Sorry,

Gary

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
glmorga said:
AF,

Sorry - northern most edge of the dark area in the center of the photo just to the left of the garrison. On the main body of Cape Lookout.

Closest to the inlet (edge of the dark area) in the background was confusing.

Sorry,

Gary

Hi Gary,

Now I understand. I never knew a breakwater existed there. I've been searching google for the source of the photo...hoping to find an exact date, but no luck so far. I won't give up though. Its out there somewhere.

And regardless of whether I can find an exact date, I'm positive the photo was taken between 1940 and 1945.

AF

Story

I'll Lock Up
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...r-of-Nazi-U-boats-documented-in-new-book.html

The surrender of German submarines in Loch Eriboll in Sutherland was one of the strangest episodes at the end of World War II. Locals were sworn to secrecy and it has often been assumed that only “two or three” crews gave themselves up in the sheltered inlet.

But a new book marking the 65th anniversary of the incident reveals that no fewer than 33 U-boat commanders surrendered in the space of 12 days in the 10-mile long loch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran