Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BBQ Grills, and more specifically, Kamados

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Tony, on the Napolean, it is. And offset, Nice little touch. Feels more substantial. Cast Iron grates, and a diffuser built into the bottom. $274 is the list. On the Weber Premium, nope,have to lay the lid to the side. Not as convenient, but I can live with that. Wont leave the nice sear marks but I can live without that. $159 list and many more accessories that are made for it and it is the topselling grill I read. Gets universally high marks. The Napolean is Canadian

I saw a CharBroil barrel smoker at Lowes. Can get it off Amazon, assemble myself, for $65 total. However, the metal is stamped steel, paint probably not baked on like the Weber, and it wont last as long. Ash catcher is not like the Weber. The CharBroil does have the hinged lid

IXL

One Too Many
A few random thoughts on the matter:

I think the Weber would be vastly superior to the Charbroil smoker. Do a search for required modifications on the Charbroil and you will find more than you probably would like to do. They also lack durability. I am acquainted with several individuals who were not happy with the Charbroil cookers, at all.

Webers work well; BGEs work well, and have the advantage of holding a very steady temperature regardless of outside ambient weather. They also retain moisture quite well. Grilling steaks at 800°F+ is easy.The BGE product is very heavy and this can preclude them from being easily moved about. Also, if they are used for picnic destinations, they will require many hours before they cool down much. This is of no consequence if they are used at home.

Lump charcoal can be used in any of the cookers and is an excellent fuel.

If all one intends to do is grill burgers and hotdogs, a metal bucket with a few air-intake holes punched near the bottom, and a cooking grate tossed across the top will work. From there on, the commercially produced grills merely add convenience to the party, but that can be nice to have.

While the Weber will produce very good low-and-slow cooked meats, the heavy-walled ceramic of the BGE will better hold those desired same low temperatures, which will make smoking a very relaxed task.

We own and use several BGEs, a Weber, two pellet cookers, and a 900 lb. heavy-walled-steel horizontal offset smoker. Based on my experience with these, I feel that if you intend only to grill, get a Weber (the removable ash catcher alone, in their better units, is worth the price of admission), unless you insist on grilling at nuclear temps, in which case the ceramic cookers will really rock. If you plan to smoke, take a critical look at the ceramics.
Good luck with your search!

IXL

One Too Many
Also, the ceramic cookers make baking wood-fired style pizzas a snap, for those who indulge. We have "everybody build your own" pizza parties, and once the ceramic cooker is brought to temp, along with a thick ceramic pizza stone, everyone's small pizzas just shoot through the cooker like a Pez dispenser.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Ended up getting the Kettle 22" Premium - better grate (hinged to allow easier access to add coals) and the ash catcher. Great reviews across the board. The 26 inch one, while it would have allowed for more grilling area, would be fully utilized once in a blue moon. Gonna get a nice cover and did get a Thermopen Thermopop digital thermometer to better tell when chicken and pork are done. Also more cognizant of using half the gill so I can have an indirect heat zone. And getting the charcoal baskets which come standard on the Master Touch model so that I can better stack the coals and put a drip pan in the middle of the two baskets for drippings (also could use it for water and getting more steam and will have to read up on that)

One thing I noticed is that being a little bit more thoughtful or intentional, my steaks have turned out better. I would just slap burgers on, steaks on, chicken on, everything over the coals. Still don't use enough coals as it seems that with just two burgers, one should not need a ton of coals. however, the Weber design allows the coals to die out due to oxygen-deprivation instead of just being reduced to total ash with the cheaper grill. Last night, first use, I had some actual hard coals left.

id like to think I would make wood-fired pizzas in a grill, but we aren't even doing made from scratch pizzas in the kitchen, and we have a Grimaldi's that has some great pizzas using what I think are wood ovens.

And yes, on the Napolean, the grate was hinged

Got the premium off ebay, shipped and all, for $128. Locally, it would be $149 and then $13 or so in taxes

One thing I noticed is that being a little bit more thoughtful or intentional, my steaks have turned out better. I would just slap burgers on, steaks on, chicken on, everything over the coals. Still don't use enough coals as it seems that with just two burgers, one should not need a ton of coals. however, the Weber design allows the coals to die out due to oxygen-deprivation instead of just being reduced to total ash with the cheaper grill. Last night, first use, I had some actual hard coals left

I never fire up the charcoal grill without using a full bed of coals, even if I'm just doing a burger or two. I think you have to have the heat up, whether it's one burger or 12 steaks. I cook with the heat rocket engine hot, and rationing the coals based on the amount of meat just doesn't do it for me. It ends up taking longer to cook the meat, which ends up drying it out. When people tell me their meat is too dry, and ask what they're doing wrong, 99% of the time it's because they're not cooking hot enough.

All of that said, that's one reason I like the convenience of a gas grill. It's just faster and easier to get it up to 600 degrees. Of course, I grill probably 2-3 times a week, year round.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
I had a gas grill, a Phoenix, where the burners were underneath a plate. My ex-wife used to complain she could taste the gas so we got that grill. Yet it was a friend's Big Green Egg and the wonderful smoke imparted to burgers and steaks that convinced me to go back to charcoal. I never could get smoky goodness out of those chips

I had a gas grill, a Phoenix, where the burners were underneath a plate. My ex-wife used to complain she could taste the gas so we got that grill. Yet it was a friend's Big Green Egg and the wonderful smoke imparted to burgers and steaks that convinced me to go back to charcoal. I never could get smoky goodness out of those chips

I've been cooking with gas for nearly 30 years, and can honestly say that I've never once tasted it in my food. Perhaps my taste buds just aren't that sophisticated, but I'd like to think I have a pretty good palate for grilling/BBQ. Perhaps it's because I think 400 degrees on the grill just ain't gonna get it done and just asking for trouble. I don't know, but it's never been a problem for me and I've never had any complaints.

But like the old saying goes..."there are three things every man thinks he can do better than every other man...start a fire, grill a steak, and coach football." We're all legends in our own minds.

dnjan

One Too Many
Very happy with my Napoleon for rotisserie chicken, pizza, focaccia bread, etc.
For smoking (both hot and cold) I use an old Brinkman (think R2D2). I coldsmoke with either hazelnut, plum or apple chips.
I run branches through my chipper, and dry them in shallow pans (used restaurant supply).
Three or four charcoal briquettes on the edges of a pan full of chips lasts about 6 hours.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Interesting topic!
I have a Char Broil Santa Fe that I've just worn smooth out.
Several years ago a former co worker mentioned purchasing a green egg.
While the surface seems smaller than my Char Broil, he swore it would hold temps of 600 degrees for a good period of time, and that it would cook steak similar to Ruth's Chris (due to it's searing ability).
I'm still interested in one of these, but my question is "can I use wood in it?"
See, I"m from the same area as Memphis Lawyer, and (yes it rhymes) BBQ is what we do...well I might add!
I cook half wood half charcoal, whether it be pecan, cherry, hickory, or mesquite.

Interesting topic!
I have a Char Broil Santa Fe that I've just worn smooth out.
Several years ago a former co worker mentioned purchasing a green egg.
While the surface seems smaller than my Char Broil, he swore it would hold temps of 600 degrees for a good period of time, and that it would cook steak similar to Ruth's Chris (due to it's searing ability).
I'm still interested in one of these, but my question is "can I use wood in it?"
See, I"m from the same area as Memphis Lawyer, and (yes it rhymes) BBQ is what we do...well I might add!
I cook half wood half charcoal, whether it be pecan, cherry, hickory, or mesquite.

For the best results with a green egg, you should use charcoal as your main heat source and wood chips or chunks for smoke/flavor. I wouldn't try to use all wood, as it wouldn't burn well in the egg. Wood has too much moisture and other things to burn very efficiently in the closed environment of the egg. But adding chunks...absolutely!

memphislawyer

Practically Family
I got a Weber Kettle and the temps maintain around 500. I have seen a Green Egg hover around 700. I have gotten some wood chunks, not chips, and like those. Getting better at leaving the meat alone, and adding more coals, not skimping on them. Also creating a zone of no coals to do indirect and cook fish or chicken

jkingrph

Practically Family
I had a Weber about 20 years ago and never liked it. Too many parts to stack ect, although it did a good job. Went through a cheap charcoal grill, then a couple of gas grills and finally got a Big Green Egg. I like the way it can be set for direct grilling or indirect heat for slow smoking. I really recommend the lump charcoal vs briquetts as you can close all the vents and stop the fire and actually restart the unburned lumps later. Briquetts totally disintegrate and burn into ash no matter how hou handle them.

... I really recommend the lump charcoal vs briquetts as you can close all the vents and stop the fire and actually restart the unburned lumps later. Briquetts totally disintegrate and burn into ash no matter how hou handle them.

My experience differs. Yes, lump is superior in some ways. But I've totally extinguished briquettes by closing all the vents and was left with reusable charcoal. It has to be supplemented with fresh briquettes, but it isn't reduced to nothing but ash. I find this a more economical way to grill (as contrasted with barbecuing) steaks and sausages and such other things that cook quickly over direct heat. Shut off the air supply once the food is off the grill. And load up the partially consumed coals in the chimney starter next time (put 'em on top of the new coals in the chimney).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy