Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beach Boys Look

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Hey, I'm looking for some clothes like the beach boys wore, you know like skinny khakis and short-sleeved button-down striped or patterned shirts. The skinny khakis are hard to find and I can't find the brightly-colored striped shirt. Anyone know where to get the most accurate stuff for that 55-65 preppy look for teenagers? Already have the 60s preppy brown penny loafers, khaki waist football jacket, and 50s sneakers. Looking for something like here:
the_beach_boys.jpg

beach-boys-fansclubs.jpg

22987-004-02138CB2.jpg

The_Beach_Boys.jpg

beach-boys-200-121908.jpg

Mike K.

One Too Many
Great look! I wouldn't mind an outfit or two like this in my closet.

For slim chinos, check out the new offering by Dockers
http://us.dockers.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=3562842
Gap, Brooks Brothers, and a few others offer slimmer fitting khakis too.
pDOCK1-7547155v291a.jpg

For shirts, plaids seem to be the "in" thing this year but I found some wide-striped short-sleeve shirts listed at Kmart and Sears online. Kohls and Old Navy have decent selection too.
on776130-01vliv01.jpg

To round out the look, you'll want some nice white or navy canvas "boat shoe" style sneakers. I recommend the Vans Era. Sperry Topsiders are also available but I don't like the vent holes on the sides (they let in sand).
49-153-large.jpg

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
habberdasher said:
Hey, I'm looking for some clothes like the beach boys wore, you know like skinny khakis and short-sleeved button-down striped or patterned shirts. The skinny khakis are hard to find and I can't find the brightly-colored striped shirt. Anyone know where to get the most accurate stuff for that 55-65 preppy look for teenagers? Already have the 60s preppy brown penny loafers, khaki waist football jacket, and 50s sneakers. Looking for something like here:
beach-boys-fansclubs.jpg

22987-004-02138CB2.jpg

Pendleton still makes these Board shirts in a variety of solids and plaids. Infact they still sell the pattern the guys are wearing in the second picture.
pioneerdays2010023.jpg
I highly recommend them.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
handlebar bart said:
Pendleton still makes these Board shirts in a variety of solids and plaids. Infact they still sell the pattern the guys are wearing in the second picture.
pioneerdays2010023.jpg
I highly recommend them.
Thanks! They were actually first called the "Pendeltons" now I know why

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Mike K. said:
Great look! I wouldn't mind an outfit or two like this in my closet.

For slim chinos, check out the new offering by Dockers
http://us.dockers.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=3562842
Gap, Brooks Brothers, and a few others offer slimmer fitting khakis too.
pDOCK1-7547155v291a.jpg

For shirts, plaids seem to be the "in" thing this year but I found some wide-striped short-sleeve shirts listed at Kmart and Sears online. Kohls and Old Navy have decent selection too.
on776130-01vliv01.jpg

To round out the look, you'll want some nice white or navy canvas "boat shoe" style sneakers. I recommend the Vans Era. Sperry Topsiders are also available but I don't like the vent holes on the sides (they let in sand).
49-153-large.jpg
Thanks for the advice! Needed to know where to get the skinny khakis

colgems

New in Town
i have both of the "beach boys" pendletons and like them alot. for cvo's i reccommend the sperry 75th anniversary cvo. expensive, but an accurate repro. pf flyers windjammers are good vintage cvo's too. can't say much for the regular sperry cvos nor the vans they're not vintage in the details and don't look vintage to me (vans logo tag etc..) as for khakis try 60's era u.s. army issue (if you can find them) slimmer than the ww2 models and made well. in fact i'm selling two pair on ebay right now that are a little too small for me.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
colgems said:
i have both of the "beach boys" pendletons and like them alot. for cvo's i reccommend the sperry 75th anniversary cvo. expensive, but an accurate repro. pf flyers windjammers are good vintage cvo's too. can't say much for the regular sperry cvos nor the vans they're not vintage in the details and don't look vintage to me (vans logo tag etc..) as for khakis try 60's era u.s. army issue (if you can find them) slimmer than the ww2 models and made well. in fact i'm selling two pair on ebay right now that are a little too small for me.
Got to look for those 60s khakis thanks for the recommendation! I got the sneakers $5 at walmart, white (available in blue) no logos, nothing no support but really accurate look like 50s keds!

habberdasher said:
Thanks! They were actually first called the "Pendeltons" now I know why

Not to get too darned nit-picky about it, but I believe they were called the Pendletones, not Pendletons. But it was indeed an allusion to the Pendleton shirts they sported back then. (I'm something of a Brianista, so this kinda stuff jumps out at me. Sorry.)

By the way, should you get the chance to see Brian Wilson perform, I'd recommend you do it. It's a lot of fun. Dancing in the aisles and all that. This latest incarnation of the Beach Boys is another matter altogether. As I understand it, it's Mike Love and four guys named Joe.

bradford

Familiar Face
tonyb said:
By the way, should you get the chance to see Brian Wilson perform, I'd recommend you do it. It's a lot of fun. Dancing in the aisles and all that. This latest incarnation of the Beach Boys is another matter altogether. As I understand it, it's Mike Love and four guys named Joe.

Good to hear about Brian. My wife and I saw him 7 or 8 years ago opening for Paul Simon and he seemed petrified to be performing before a live audience and basically hid behind his keyboard.

I saw the Beach Boys a few times in the early 80's, back when Dennis and Carl were still alive. Not sure I'd want to pay good money to just see Mike Love and his backup band, although if it was cheap enough or free, I'd probably go again.

Well, Brian has his own ways. His pipes aren't what they were. (But then, whose are?) And he's long been at least a bit awkward in front of a crowd. Way, way back when, Glen Campbell toured with the band, in Brian's stead, while Brian stayed behind working on new material and/or hiding out.

The couple of times I've seen him perform in recent years, with the Wondermints, he loosened up as the show ran on. He wrote so many big, big hits that it's hard to get what everybody wants to hear into one show. But he manages to hit the audience with one after another after another until they're pretty well worn out by the end. I was most struck by the age span in the audience -- great-grandmas and grandpas and pre-adolescents and everywhere in between.

Wish I could've caught one of the shows on the "Smile" tour a few years back. The dewy-eyed bride okayed the funds to get me to the nearest stop on the tour -- in San Francisco, as I recall -- but I couldn't see spending that kind of money.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I saw them at the Long Beach Civic Auditorium in '76; they were great. That was during my Jan and Dean phase, when I wore a white, pull-over shirt with a horizontal, contrasting stripe, along with sneakers and straight-legged cords. Saw them perform on the Sunset Strip in '77; never forget it...:eek:fftopic:

habberdasher

A-List Customer
tonyb said:
Not to get too darned nit-picky about it, but I believe they were called the Pendletones, not Pendletons. But it was indeed an allusion to the Pendleton shirts they sported back then. (I'm something of a Brianista, so this kinda stuff jumps out at me. Sorry.)

I'm a Beach Boys connoisseur too, I know exactly what you're talking about. It'd be great to see him perform, he really modernized the band into an experimental, revolutionary (and psychadelic!) group from the former happy surfing girls and cars. I enjoy both stages equally, and really like Pet Sounds and Smiley Smile. Can't believe I misspelled Pendeltone!

habberdasher

A-List Customer
bradford said:
Good to hear about Brian. My wife and I saw him 7 or 8 years ago opening for Paul Simon and he seemed petrified to be performing before a live audience and basically hid behind his keyboard.

I saw the Beach Boys a few times in the early 80's, back when Dennis and Carl were still alive. Not sure I'd want to pay good money to just see Mike Love and his backup band, although if it was cheap enough or free, I'd probably go again.
Mike Love ruined the band. Big ego and tried to get all the rights to the songs completely he just helped with a bit. It seems everyone on youtube hates him in the Beach Boys videos comments!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
habberdasher said:
Mike Love ruined the band. Big ego and tried to get all the rights to the songs completely he just helped with a bit. It seems everyone on youtube hates him in the Beach Boys videos comments!

When Brian was trying to move the band in a more modern (less juvenile) direction, it was Mike Love who opposed him, insisting that they should continue churning out songs about cars and surfing. While some of us can sympathize with Mike's desire to keep the Beach Boys the Beach Boys, Brian's ideas were based on a more realistic perception of the changing times.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Widebrim said:
When Brian was trying to move the band in a more modern (less juvenile) direction, it was Mike Love who opposed him, insisting that they should continue churning out songs about cars and surfing. While some of us can sympathize with Mike's desire to keep the Beach Boys the Beach Boys, Brian's ideas were based on a more realistic perception of the changing times.
Thats another reason why not too many people love Love!

Greenspan's

New in Town
There's more Beach Boys pattern Pendletons coming through

There's more "Beach Boys" pattern Pendletons coming through in The Spring 2011 Board Shirt. This one is in the rust color. Pendleton still makes the one the Beach Boys wore, in blue. These rust "Beach Boy Pattern" Pendletons should be arriving around November, to Greenspan's, South Gate, CA www.greenspans.com This is a preview of how they look:
IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

There are more patterns to be seen on the Greenspan's myspace page at www.myspace.com/greenspans, in the album entitled: A Preview of Spring 2011 Pendleton wool flannel board shirts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner