Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beacon by Barbour catalog, ca. 1933

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
img264.jpg

img265.jpg

img266.jpg

img267.jpg

img268.jpg

img269.jpg

img270.jpg

img271.jpg

img272.jpg

img273.jpg

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
mattfink said:
Excellent!!!! Thanks for sharing!
"Just Ordinary Collars...." waterproof or not....I wish this were still true!

Thanks for giving my salivary glands a workout. Those long shooting coats....driven shooting, yes; never work over here, though; wish there had been more rough-shooting attire....

Thanks again for a very enjoyable and valuable time-trip!

"Skeet"

H.Johnson

One Too Many
An excellent catalogue., thanks for displaying it. I used to work for Belstaff in the 60s/70s, who were arch-competitors of Barbour at the time (their ranges overlapped, although Barbour had precedence in nautical wear) and I have some early (back to 1920s) Belstaff catalogues...somewhere.

The laced field boots are interesting. There is one style called The Stafford. I have reason to believe that some of Barbour's boots were made by the now-defunct Lotus in Stafford, where I live. This is interesting, as the same can't be said of Belstaff, who were located within 20 miles of Stafford. Here is an advert for a pair of Field boots.

LotusVeldtschoen.jpg

I am also interested in the illustration on page 32 of the recommended method of measuring the feet prior to ordering boots. A retired friend who used to work for Lotus has made a couple of pairs of RAF 1936 Pattern flying boots on original 1930s boot lasts. We plan to go into limited production, but we are having great difficulty in finding modern feet to fit them! So far, we are restructing ours ' business plan' (hu!) to personal sales, where people can try them on, but if we could trust people to measure their feet accurately, that may open up a mail order market.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
H.Johnson said:
So far, we are restructing ours ' business plan' (hu!) to personal sales, where people can try them on, but if we could trust people to measure their feet accurately, that may open up a mail order market.

Limmer and Baker Shoe in the US seem to make self-measurement work (they provide detailed instructions). But then again they've not got to take distance-selling rules into account.

I'd be happy to provide you with a tracing of both my feet...

Mountain Man

A-List Customer
Just a question for you UK guys on those 1930's prices in the catalog. I am not familiar with all of the British symbols for money - Does 22'6 mean 22 shillings and six pence - and would that translate to 1 pound, 2 shillings and sixpence?

Sounds impossibly cheap nowadays, but when I consider my Great Grandad made around 5 US dollars a day (as a skilled laborer in a large company) in the 1930's, and the Pound Sterling translated to roughly 5 or 6 US dollars back then, it was quite a bit of money!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy