Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beauty accidents...

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
AllaboutEve said:
I've used nail polish remover on my face by accident, oh and sprayed deodorant on my hair instead of hairspray.....attractive.......

I've never really had any of these, other than the normal curling iron burns, etc.

I have accidentally sprayed eyeglass cleaner in my hair instead of hairspray tho.

lillielil

Familiar Face
I wound up in the hospital with 2nd degree chemical burns in both armpits from Nair once. Now I stick to razors and the occasional wax.

zaika

One Too Many
*shudder*
this was an extremely difficult post to read. i'm chilly with fright. lol

smuts, i hope you're okay. :(

thankfully i haven't had anything TERRIBLE happen to me...beauty wise. although my skin is so sensitive that i can't shave regularly...nor can i use nair....or wax. i break out ALL OVER in rashes and bumps. it's more disgusting than the hair growth. blech. call me sasquatch.

i think i might go a-lasering. hopefully THAT won't result in any accidents! :eek:

and i do regularly stick my mascara wand in my eye. not enough to hurt...just enough to ruin my makeup job, though! lol

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
goldwyn girl said:
I also jab my self in the eye frequently. I have sprayed hairspray under my arms instead of deodorant and over plucked my eyebrows.

Haven't we all overplucked our eyebrows? Mine were overplucked near the bridge of my nose and now that it's growing back, the hair won't lay down.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
Haven't we all overplucked our eyebrows? Mine were overplucked near the bridge of my nose and now that it's growing back, the hair won't lay down.

for some reason I have never had much in the eyebrow department (all the hair ended on my head!) but I have been burned by a cigarette right in the arch of my one brow so that burned out much of the hair I had there and hasn't grown completely back. The lesson learned is that never sit down amongst a group of smokers that dance.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
zaika said:
although my skin is so sensitive that i can't shave regularly...nor can i use nair....or wax. i break out ALL OVER in rashes and bumps. it's more disgusting than the hair growth. blech. call me sasquatch.

i think i might go a-lasering. hopefully THAT won't result in any accidents! :eek:
I have very sensitive skin under my arms. There's only one brand of non-perfumed deo roll-on I can use, besides my lovely Lush deo powder. This is actually not the reason why I don't shave, but I don't think my armpits would be very happy if I did. I now and then cut the hair under my arms, not close to the skin, just trim them and keep them fresh. My arm pits are soft and cuddly. Just so you know an alternative to laser :)

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Smuterella,
You may want to get some saline solution from the druggist and wash it out gently. Keep it moist, so it heals. It is ok if it continues to tear..it will allow it to stay moist and clean.

Good luck dear, you are not alone in the accident dept. :(

Keep us informed.

XO
Desi

CeceliaRose

New in Town
I tried to use those do-it-yourself wax strips on my eyebrows once - the ones with the wax attached to paper that go either under or over your eyebrow and get rid of all the little strays. I stuck one under my eyebrow and ripped it off, and not only did it take the hairs, it took all the skin with it, too. I was stuck with a big raw oozy strip right over my eye, that looked especially lovely when it started to scab over. I stick to tweezers, now. :rolleyes:

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
CeceliaRose said:
I tried to use those do-it-yourself wax strips on my eyebrows once - the ones with the wax attached to paper that go either under or over your eyebrow and get rid of all the little strays. I stuck one under my eyebrow and ripped it off, and not only did it take the hairs, it took all the skin with it, too. I was stuck with a big raw oozy strip right over my eye, that looked especially lovely when it started to scab over. I stick to tweezers, now. :rolleyes:

I've heard of that happening. I have some that I use, but most of the time they barely seem to even grab the hair!

CeceliaRose

New in Town
KittyT said:
I've heard of that happening. I have some that I use, but most of the time they barely seem to even grab the hair!

They are definitely one of the most useless beauty products I've wasted my money on. I noticed as it started to scab over that there were still little hairs all through the raw spot. So it took off the skin, but not the hair. :mad:

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Ouch Smuterella, does it hurt? Poor thing.

Once, for a period of a week or so, I cleansed my eyes with hair shampoo in stead of make up remover.

I found a bottle of what I thought was Clinique make up remover while I was at the swimming pool, and since I love finding stuff other people have lost (maybe a way to live out some sort of cleptomaniac tendency lol), I took it home and used it. Well, finally when the skin around my eyes started turning red and flaky, it dawned on me that it must have been shampoo that some person had just put into a Clinique make up remover bottle. Imagine that, I was deliberately putting shampoo in my eyes! Man, did I feel dumb... lol

lyburnum

Practically Family
CeceliaRose said:
:eek: <-- That was literally my face when I read that. Don't think I'll be trying the wax strips any time soon!

lyburnum

Practically Family
When I was quite a bit younger and just started shaving (I think I was about 12?), my Mum used to buy all my razor blades for me. Anyway, I had one very, very blunt razor I'd been using for some time, so had to press down really hard to remove the leg hair (I was a little inept at telling my Mother when I needed new blades). Anyway, one day my Mother replaced the blades. Without telling me. So I pressed into my leg as normal, pulled the razor up and voila, two seconds later I had blood pouring from the front of my leg. The skin was raw for quite some time after that, but thankfully it was summer so I could wear shorts, instead of having jeans grating against the raw skin :(

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
CeceliaRose said:
They are definitely one of the most useless beauty products I've wasted my money on. I noticed as it started to scab over that there were still little hairs all through the raw spot. So it took off the skin, but not the hair. :mad:

I had a similar experience with Veet on my legs ( It was years ago now, when it used to be called Immac) Well it took all the skin off and yes it also left the hairs behind......they were a little crinkly and shriveled but well and truly still anchored to my leg.....unlike my skin.

Madison Paige

Familiar Face
Oh dear lord, if I could only tell you the amount of times I've burnt myself with the curling iron. I'm so insanely clumsy. I burn myself in weird places too, I was sitting down, wearing shorts while curling my hair, and dropped the curling iron. Needless to say, I have a wonderful four inch scar on my thigh. Lets see...stepped on a curling iron that wasn't supposed to be on...burnt my ears countless times...and most recently, burnt the back of my neck, while going down my hair with the iron, I guess my hair stopped sooner then I thought, and plunk, down the curling iron went on the back of my neck.

Obviously, I'm quite a klutz and really shouldn't be trusted with hot objects :rolleyes:

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Madison Paige said:
Oburnt my ears countless times...and most recently, burnt the back of my neck

We've all done this. This is one of the reasons I now opt for cold sets that I zap with a blowdryer. I'm clutzy with the iron too. Luckily, the cold sets are faster to set and longer lasting (at least for me), so it works out all right.

CeceliaRose

New in Town
lyburnum said:
When I was quite a bit younger and just started shaving (I think I was about 12?), my Mum used to buy all my razor blades for me. Anyway, I had one very, very blunt razor I'd been using for some time, so had to press down really hard to remove the leg hair (I was a little inept at telling my Mother when I needed new blades). Anyway, one day my Mother replaced the blades. Without telling me. So I pressed into my leg as normal, pulled the razor up and voila, two seconds later I had blood pouring from the front of my leg. The skin was raw for quite some time after that, but thankfully it was summer so I could wear shorts, instead of having jeans grating against the raw skin :(

I've done this too. I have a nice 5 inch scar up the side of my leg starting just above the anklebone from shaving. It follows the path of that tendon. Looked like a scene from Psycho in my shower. Shaving accidents always hurt so bad! (and bleed so copiously!) :(

alexandra

Practically Family
I recently shaved off my finger nail with a brand new razor. I didn't think it could happen. I don't know HOW it happened really...just one second I was shaving my armpit, the next second my middle fingernail was half gone and bleeding everywhere. It's only just grown back to regular nail size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner