Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beauty accidents...

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
alexandra said:
I recently shaved off my finger nail with a brand new razor. I didn't think it could happen. I don't know HOW it happened really...just one second I was shaving my armpit, the next second my middle fingernail was half gone and bleeding everywhere. It's only just grown back to regular nail size.

Ladies, ladies...all this talk of shaving off ones skin/fingernails etc.. is giving me the heebie jeebies!:eek: *shudder*

zaika

One Too Many
lyburnum said:
When I was quite a bit younger and just started shaving (I think I was about 12?), my Mum used to buy all my razor blades for me. Anyway, I had one very, very blunt razor I'd been using for some time, so had to press down really hard to remove the leg hair (I was a little inept at telling my Mother when I needed new blades). Anyway, one day my Mother replaced the blades. Without telling me. So I pressed into my leg as normal, pulled the razor up and voila, two seconds later I had blood pouring from the front of my leg. The skin was raw for quite some time after that, but thankfully it was summer so I could wear shorts, instead of having jeans grating against the raw skin :(

oh my GOD, lyburnum. that is...*shudder* really awful!!
when i was just learning to shave (i was *extremely* ditzy as an adolecent), instead of using water or a washcloth to clean the little hairs from the razor..i ran my thumb across it.
so i guess i did have a beauty related accident.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Once, I stopped a split second before I put hair-removing mousse in my hair, thinking it was hair-mousse! Same type of bottle, almost the same name.... Scary!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Helen Troy said:
Once, I stopped a split second before I put hair-removing mousse in my hair, thinking it was hair-mousse! Same type of bottle, almost the same name.... Scary!

That's hilarious and extremely scary. I wonder if it would have removed head hair as well. lol

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Laura Chase said:
That's hilarious and extremely scary. I wonder if it would have removed head hair as well. lol

Yes, yes it will. It weakens the bonds that give hair its structure. This actually reminds me now that at one point I got some of that stuff in my hair a couple years back - I think I used a washcloth to get something out of my hair, forgetting that I'd used it to clean up some hair remover I'd used for my legs. There was significant hair breakage and I had a decent sized chunk of hair break off about 3" from my scalp.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Yes, yes it will. It weakens the bonds that give hair its structure. This actually reminds me now that at one point I got some of that stuff in my hair a couple years back - I think I used a washcloth to get something out of my hair, forgetting that I'd used it to clean up some hair remover I'd used for my legs. There was significant hair breakage and I had a decent sized chunk of hair break off about 3" from my scalp.

Eeeek! I think that definitely counts as a beauty accident! ;) Scary stuff. Good thing Helen didn't end up with a bald spot.

I'm loving this thread. The things women do to themselves: eyeball damage, exposed flesh, rashes, second degree burns. lol

zaika

One Too Many
Laura Chase said:
Eeeek! I think that definitely counts as a beauty accident! ;) Scary stuff. Good thing Helen didn't end up with a bald spot.

I'm loving this thread. The things women do to themselves: eyeball damage, exposed flesh, rashes, second degree burns. lol

being a woman is definately brutal.

jayem

A-List Customer
This has nothing to do with makeup, but it does have to do with my face.

When oil painting, I got a big smudge of paint on my face. Only thing that removed oil paints? Turpentine. I quickly rubbed some on my face and washed it off immediately. Still, it burnt like hell and gave me a terrible rash.

I once penciled my eyebrows for class at about 5.45 in the morning, half asleep, and wound up looking like Groucho Marx for the day.

I got MRSA all over my face and right ear from my job. MRSA looks like the ultimate zit.

I have a nasty habit of doing my nails, and smearing them IMMEDIATELY and usually on my hair, face, or clothing.

I think the worse though was when I had this crazy notion that I was getting a mustache like some women do. So, being 12 and dumb, I plucked all the tiny fine little hairs from above my lip. I had this big red rash for a few days that looked like a Kool-Aid 'stache.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
I once read a horrifying story about the Swedish singer Lill-Babs. She was about to go on stage and had reached in her make-up bag for what she thought was eye drops. It turned out that it was in fact super nail glue and that she had glued her eye shut. Shudder...

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Laura Chase said:
I'm greatfull for that every day. And I never buy hair-removing mousse any more!

My choir leader did something similar to Lil Babs, only with her lips: In the stress right before a concert she reached into her bag, found the lip balm and put it on -only to discover she had used the glue stick!

Smuterella

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Haven't we all overplucked our eyebrows? Mine were overplucked near the bridge of my nose and now that it's growing back, the hair won't lay down.

nope - my eyebrows are the bane of my life. they are thick, with hairs that go far down and meet in the middle - it would take serious time and effort to overpluck them, i'm more generally underplucked.

Smuterella

One Too Many
not so much a beauty accident as bad luck - this morning when opening my underwear drawer the drawer stuck and three fingernails broke. also - last night during getting my roots done the bleach made my scalp feel like a thousand bitey ants where all over my scalp.

Its obviously not a good week for me.

Luckily the eye is feeling a great deal better - you win some you lose some....

positivelypinup

One of the Regulars
one time i was curling my hair and i dropped my curling iron on my leg and it left an imprint that said revlon backwards...it hurt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner