Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beauty School

Madison Paige

Familiar Face
Hi Ladies,

Bartenders, if this is off topic, please let me know or feel free to move it.

I know a few of you are either hair dressers or are in school right now, so I figured this would be a good place to ask around...

I'm planning on moving to the Los Angeles area (Burbank to be exact) in 6 months to a year, and I'm looking for a good cosmetology school in LA. I went to school, here in Santa Barbara, for about four months a few years ago, and I'm just planning on finishing up my time so I can get my license. I'll tell you what I'm not looking for, and this may be hard to come by, but alot of the schools (the one here in SB included) basically just prepare you for your license test, and don't actually teach anything that you would actually end up using in your profession. So I'm looking for somewhere that I can actually learn. Do any of you have thoughts on this? Maybe you know of a good school, or you have a friend who has been to a good one? I know Vidal Sassoon and Paul Mitchell are both good, but I wanted to get some other opinions.

Thank you, girls!!

Faye Valentine

my sister's best friend went to a beauty school that was quite expensive but she said it was a great school. her old teacher was a friend of the late kevyn aucoin. i believe her because she has all these tips and tricks and ways to make your face look TOTALLY different when it comes to make up (she can even make a flat looking nose look sharper. something called conturing or whatever. i dont really remember...lol) and even told me which make-up is good quality and which is bad ( i know many ladies in the powder room love MAC but I found out that their quality isn't the best. they're basically drug-store quality make up. not that there's anything wrong with using drug-store make up [like covergirl/maybeline/etc...] it's just, you might as well buy the ones from the drug-stores rather than waste your money on something more expensive with the same quality). Anywho, the school is called Empire. hope that helps.

Faye Valentine

i'm sorry. i need to be more specific. it's called Empire Academy of Make-up. it's actually in Costa Mesa. (There is also a school called Empire Beauty school which is located in the east coast of the US. that's not the one i'm talking about. haha)

Madison Paige

Familiar Face
Thank you so much. Now is Empire Academy of Make-up only a make-up school? I'm actually looking to go to a cosmetology school where I can train to be a hair stylist. But thats very good to know, since I am planning on going on over to a make-up school after I finish with my year at a cosmetology program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy