Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beaver prices

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Borsie Beaver

I have spoken with a very reliable online hat retailer recently and we discussed the Borsie Beaver and its price. This (unnamed vendor) said that they were not impressed with the Borsie beaver and could not recommend it.

They didn't have to tell me that, I own custom hats from both Art and Fedora. Both men make great hats that even I as a retiree can afford!

jeboat:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The price increses of hats are going to be quite a bit from what I've been told. Hatco and Borsalino are going up . I'm sure the other vendors will follow. This from a tremdous increase in the cost of raw fur as well as the decline in the dollar versus the euro. The decline of the dollar is hurting us alot as we buy most of our hats from Europe .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
The hat company execs need to go back to business school if they think that a $200 rabbit fur hat, of a middling quality at best, needs a price increase.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Joel Tunnah said:
The hat company execs need to go back to business school if they think that a $200 rabbit fur hat, of a middling quality at best, needs a price increase.

Another way of saying that is, if beaver hats
are priced out of reach of the casual buyer,
it does not bode well for the popularizing of
hats that we'd like to see.

I wish the demand driving up beaver prices were
due to a surge in popularity of fedoras, not tacky
colored throw pillows. And as an occasional traveler,
I wish the dollar would regain some of its strength.
I've certainly crossed Great Britain off my list for a while.

interlocutor

New in Town
... that's why it seemed not such a bad deal to pay $300 for the current Borsalino beaver hat, at 25% off of the in store price with an extra 10% off (if you know how to hold your mouth). I like the design better than that of the Pinnacle. I have Stetsons, but that one doesn't appeal to me. If the creative mood strikes, I'll definitely be in touch with Mr. Fawcett sometime; and Optimo merits a visit on the next trip through Chicago.

But as we all well know, it's not the price of beaver fur that's holding back the repopularization of hats (nor would a spike in the popularity of hats help the price of beaver fur!). Since I've been in New York, I've seen at least 3 hat stores shut down in Manhattan (though Worth & Worth is coming back); the handwriting is on the wall and it seems to say "Mene mene tekel..."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24