Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Being Our Vintage Best: How Ordinary Folks Can Inspire Us

rue

A little later vintage but there is Sinatra's Twin Palms estate in Palm Springs, but which female lounger would recreate Ava Gardner's midnight (sans suit) swims in the piano shaped pool? HMMMMMMMMM, boggles the mind :whistling

I always thought a weekend there with visits to all of his old haunts would be kind of cool.

That would be neat.

Oh and if you're suggesting I would recreate Ava's swim..... you're drunk :p

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
If there are any wealthy Fedora Loungers with (or with access to) a large home and grounds, we could perhaps put together a Fedora Lounge weekend ... maybe even in the U.S.A.

With nearly 20,000 members around here, there's probably at least one Fedora Lounger with an estate and some land. Or no?

Ahem... twenty three thousand.

I miss my friends. An event would be just the ticket. But where?

swinggal

One Too Many
What happened to the huge Fedora gathering on the Queen Mary in LA? When I went in 2010 there was under 20 people, nowhere near the huge event that it used to be.

swinggal

One Too Many
We had vintage meetings in germany too. The aim was the same. Meeting likeminded people and create an vintage atmosphere for a 1930s/1940s event.
Everybody tried to wear vintage clothes, reproductions or at least in a "classic style". Yes, it was a mix. We also wanted to keep it affordable and avoid to close out newbies. So there was no "stately house" and far less white tie.

So you see: It's perfectly doable but you have to decide if you want to be very authentic (and elitist) or make it possible for everyone who is interested.

I have friends in the '20s to 40s' syndicate in Europe and all their events were amazing. The Trocadero weekend always looked spectacular and there is a group who are VERY authentic in everything they do. Lifestylers. Did you go to any of their events?

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have friends in the '20s to 40s' syndicate in Europe and all their events were amazing. The Trocadero weekend always looked spectacular and there is a group who are VERY authentic in everything they do. Lifestylers. Did you go to any of their events?
Yes, that's our group. I was at the last Trocadero and all the weekend-meetings. I was writing about the latter. We rented a place or went to a hotel with an extra room for dancing and had a nice time. Fanhams Hall is much bigger and more precious but well...it's also a matter of money I suppose.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
What happened to the huge Fedora gathering on the Queen Mary in LA? When I went in 2010 there was under 20 people, nowhere near the huge event that it used to be.
In 2008 there was a tug of war between members over scheduling the QM event to coincide with the ADSLA Art Deco Festival, which may have caused some attrition. And then of course there is the economy.....

I have friends in the '20s to 40s' syndicate in Europe and all their events were amazing. The Trocadero weekend always looked spectacular and there is a group who are VERY authentic in everything they do.
Is there any event which tops the Art Deco Weekend in Napier?

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?15982-Art-Deco-Weekend-Napier-NZ-2007&highlight=Napier

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?26842-Napier-Art-Deco-Festival-2008&highlight=Napier

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?45899-Art-Deco-Weekend-Napier-NZ-2010&highlight=Napier

Mario

I'll Lock Up
It's funny, you know. You'd think that in a place like Berlin there would be some vintage afficionados organizing get-togethers every now and then but the only thing we have here is the Boheme Sauvage - and that's more of a burlesque show within a loosely vintage-themed (20's-40's) framework with mixed music (20's-50's). Berlin thinks it is just way too hip for any such nonsense activities - like a live frontend for Facebook-personalities... [huh]

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

The Napier event looks very nice. But I think it is not comparable with the Fanhams Hall event. It seems to focus on the 1920s and people wear summer clothes (I really dig the Art deco architecture too). The english country style is a horse of a different color, don't you think? I think both events are great in their own right. There would be no harm if other events came up with a slitghly different concept but the same attention to detail.

@Mario: We don't you sign up at return2style? The meetings are very nice. The people are a little camera shy (don't want to see pictures of themselves on the web) but you can take my word for it that there are a lot of nice gals and guys.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
But I think it is not comparable with the Fanhams Hall event.
I wasn't comparing Napier to the Fanhams Hall event specifically but to Golden Era vintage events in general. There are many events that take over a hotel, ship, ballroom, restaurant, etc... but this one takes over a town.

swinggal

One Too Many
Being an Aussie, I can tell you that the Napier Festival is very unique, mainly because the entire town was rebuilt in the 30s in Art Deco style after a major earthquake. Almost all the buildings are like this which makes the event even better, as the whole town gets involved. It's not just one hotel or one ballroom, it's an entire town with the visual look and feel that most of us love. Literally streets of it!! Mojito attends this event every year and has a tonne of pics showing what a wonderful occassion it is. People dress in lighter daywear during the day and formal attire for the evening events but yes, it's summer at that time in NZ.

Flat Foot Floey

An entire art deco town...I can only dream of it :eusa_clap

I wasn't comparing Napier to the Fanhams Hall event specifically but to Golden Era vintage events in general. There are many events that take over a hotel, ship, ballroom, restaurant, etc... but this one takes over a town.
Yes, you are right. that's really something else. It just shouldn't keep people away from planning events that woudl start small but could become bigger. It's all in the details.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn