Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belts and Belt Buckles

Here's one of my favourites. It came attached to a late 1920s suit.

30sBuckle.JPG

bk

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family

cptjeff

Practically Family
http://gallery.me.com/finiancircle#100014/1930sBuckles-Fronts&bgcolor=black[/URL]

http://gallery.me.com/finiancircle#100014/1930sBuckles-Backs&bgcolor=black

"Skeet"

I wish I had my scout belt to take a picture of. Basically, you thread one end of the leather (or cloth) in the toothed portion, close it, put the belt on and then slide the pin up or close the front to lock it in place.

Pretty easy when you see how it's done. You'll need a web belt or a leather belt without a buckle though, and those use friction, not holes.

If you don't have a belt for them, run down to the boy scout office and pick up a web belt. Might want to call first, they changed the uniform and I don't know all of what kind of belts you can get. If they don't have them, e-bay should have a bunch.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
cptjeff said:
I wish I had my scout belt to take a picture of. Basically, you thread one end of the leather (or cloth) in the toothed portion, close it, put the belt on and then slide the pin up or close the front to lock it in place....You'll need a web belt or a leather belt without a buckle though, and those use friction, not holes.

Thanks for the info....one of the problems is that the size of webbing required doesn't seem to be made anymore--or at least several years of searching the web hasn't turned it up. Using leather would solve that problem...but, before doing that, I'd sure like to see some originals...and there's the issue of those teeth scarring the leather...or at least it seems to me like they would. And, last but not least....what should be on the other (free) end of the strap.

Thanks again, cptjeff!

"Skeet"

cptjeff

Practically Family
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]Thanks for the info....one of the problems is that the size of webbing required doesn't seem to be made anymore--or at least several years of searching the web hasn't turned it up. Using leather would solve that problem...but, before doing that, I'd sure like to see some originals...and there's the issue of those teeth scarring the leather...or at least it seems to me like they would. And, last but not least....what should be on the other (free) end of the strap.

Thanks again, cptjeff!

"Skeet"[/QUOTE]

That would indeed be an issue. As for the free end of the strap, the scout belts have a folded metal cap on them.

Here are some army ones, I might call and ask about the width.

http://www.flyingtigerssurplus.com/catalog.php?c=8&p=193&id=8

As for leather, don't see why not. You can have the end trimmed and left plain. Think single strip of thick hide. The leather would only be scarred on the back. Might not last forever, but it would be a nice look.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
No pictures at the moment, but on nearly all my trousers I use Soviet belts and buckles. Nice, big brass plates with the hammer and sickle on them. I also have a Navy one, a OD painted one and a brown Czech buckle as well. My favorite is my East German buckle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn