Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Besides English, What Languages Do You Speak?

Besides English, What Languages Do You Speak?

• Total voters

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I can speak basic German, enough for very basic conversation. I speak less french, although I feel that if I really tried, I might understand and speak more french than I think at first.

I know a few words and phrases in Mandarin, mostly questions related to my job.

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
Sanskrit - well I read it not speak it,
Hindi - two years in college but I forgot most of it
Vietnamese - trying but not much past the basic conversational small talk.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I used to know a certain amount of Romanian. Just enough to get by - at a push. The last time I went there (20 years ago) hardly anyone spoke English, so it was damn useful. My wife and I went there on our honeymoon, she spent her time skiing, I just went shopping for fur hats and folk music LPs.

I wish I had been able to read Romanian back in 1984: I went into a shop to buy a bottle of water - it turned out to be vinegar!

The German that I learned in school, the Spanish that I learned from coworkers, and the Russian that I learned while living in Odessa. Not enough of any of them to be considered fluent, by any stretch, but enough that I never had to drink vinegar.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I used to know a certain amount of Romanian. Just enough to get by - at a push. The last time I went there (20 years ago) hardly anyone spoke English, so it was damn useful. My wife and I went there on our honeymoon, she spent her time skiing, I just went shopping for fur hats and folk music LPs.

I wish I had been able to read Romanian back in 1984: I went into a shop to buy a bottle of water - it turned out to be vinegar!
After the fall of communism, I was asked if I could organise a charity distribution of essentials to Romania, on behalf of a combined interdenominational Christian churches. Logistics, trucks, delivery vans, fork lifts and all that have been my world for most of my working life.

The year was 1992, long before eastern Europe's integration with the west. The convoy was going to need a good deal of paperwork and much to their amusement, a good deal of "freebies." They took me along to help cross the various borders that we had to make. Once we reached Austria, pre-EU membership, the admin queue at the border was a nightmare.

One of our party, I think he was a senior pastor within the Baptist faith, had a good command of German, but had come away from the immigration desk with his chin down. We had to do this, go there, produce that, jump through hoops. "Can I give it a go," I asked him. "Don't know what good it will do, but you can give it a try," he said, rather wearily. Ten minutes later I came back with our exit visas out of Austria and our entry passes into, I think, what is now, the Czech Republic. We did the same at every border until we reached Romania. Our party were all amazed.

You remember the freebies? Well 200 cigarettes and a mixed bag of fresh fruit will get you through almost any former east European state, with a little bit of haggling.

Once in Romania, a country that I had never been to previously, I was most surprised how easy I found the language. Then, after buying a Romanian/English dictionary, I realised that Romanian is Latin based. I am fluent in Latin. (But with an English accent.)

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
There may be more to a language then many could think about...as such the language of money. My Husband has done some amazing world travel and been to almost every free Nation there is. He said no matter where you go, money talks for you. He even said at times some people may act as if they do not understand you...to find out...simply ask them if that is their $20.00 bill on the floor behind them,....when they say, "where"? You know they at least speak some English...lol!

Travel in Europe was a challenge for my Husband as you go from one Country and Language to the next relatively quickly. His answer to how to get someone to help you know the native language was simple...find a Pilot or member of the German Airforce, as they would normally be educated enough to speak several languages and help you out. Oh I am sure others could do the same, but it was how he dealt with needing someone to speak the language of what Country he was in at the time.

A bit of humor came to mind of one event that my Husband had happen in Italy. He was in Naples and had gone off the main streets and perhaps had walked too far he had no idea where he was at or how to get back to his Hotel. So he kept walking in hopes of finding a nice Cafe or some place that a lot of people would be at, in hopes of being able to speak English and get a cab or at least directions to find his way back to the Hotel he was staying at. He spends about 2 hours asking people that are coming into this large Cafe, if they spoke any English. No. No one. So, he decides to draw a picture of a telephone on a napkin in hopes someone in the Cafe would either allow him to use one that may have in the Cafe, or direct him to a pay phone.....he slides up to the "female" bartender and shows her the napkin and with hand gestures, is trying to get her to undertand he needs to use a phone....after about 20 minutes of this, she smiles and says to him, "If you only could speak English I could help you, but I do not know any other languages, sorry"!!!!!! Come to find out the Gal behind the bar was from Montana and her Sister also worked at this place, her Sister spoke Italian like a whiz! LOL!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
"If you only could speak English I could help you, but I do not know any other languages, sorry"!!!!!! Come to find out the Gal behind the bar was from Montana and her Sister also worked at this place, her Sister spoke Italian like a whiz! LOL!
That's a ploy many Brits put to good use in a different European country. For example, if you are in a country without any french connections, say "Parlez Francais?" with a questioning tone in your voice. Chances are they will say: "Non!" adding "Speak English?" you then say, with the corniest accent you can muster: "A little, spik slowly pliz."

ranger4-7

New in Town
After 28 years of marriage, and two daughters, I'm starting to pick up a bit of "female". With three ladies in the house, it nearly impossible to get by without at least a working knowledge. Still amazed at how many times I think I know what they're saying, only to find later, that I had no clue.

Hat Dandy

One of the Regulars
I grew up in an Italian household and, therefore, know some Italian. French is required learning here in Canada. Unfortunately, I'm rusty with both languages.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo