Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best 1930s-40s American magazines?

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I very much like "Better Homes and Gardens issues" of the 1920's, and 1930's but prefer "American Home" of the same vintage. Pre-war there is "The Craftsman" many issues of which are available on-line.

Being an old-time Roosevelt Progressive, my favorite magazine of the period is Albert Shaw's immortal "American Monthly Review of Reviews", which by the early 1930's had absorbed the also excellent "World's Work".

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Good to see this old thread back in service. Someone must've renewed the subscription.

Another magazine that I've lately become quite fond of is "Stage," which covered mostly the New York theatre scene, but digressed into radio and movies during the mid-thirties, to excellent effect. Some very worthwhile criticism by some very worthwhile writers, and the magazine itself is a masterpiece of mid-thirties graphic design.

It was read in its own time by actors and nightlifers, the sort for whom the Depression never happened, but copies seem remarkably available today. Likely it was considered too nice of a publication to just read and throw away.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
How about Field & Stream? Was a great read until the 70s rolled around.

deccover.jpg

martinsantos

Practically Family
"Life" is certainly the very best. In fact, the photos inside made every issue something to hold and see now and then.

I like too some photo magazines, as Popular photography, Photography, etc. But are specific magazines.

Here in Brazil the most famous (and best) was "O Cruzeiro". Begining as a "usual" magazine, in 1929, tried to become a kind of brazilian's LIFE. Got it, I think. Closed doors in 70s, but then it was completelly different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy