Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best all-around G-1 jacket source

Domani

New in Town
I recently received several patches from my Father from squadrons that he flew in
as a USMC aviator (right out of the Toko-Ri era). I want to create 'his jacket'
using his patches, but what are the general thoughts of the most appropriate
new G-1? I was leaning towards US Authentic.

I have been down the ebay path and dont really want an older, used jacket, but a clean start. Any thoughts?

My buddy was a Navy aviator from the same era. I got him a discount on the USWings and he loves it. I got one too and while not a pilot, it's nice. ONLY thing I don't like is the "Centennial" lining, but in the end, I only see that when it's hanging up. I've been reading good things about US A here lately, so others with experience can add to this.
For the price, the USW Centennial (and probably others) are good buys.
I'm currently trying to find my Father a D-1 to replicate his 50's USAF days. I may in the end get a custom from Aero or G&B if they make one. He's trim (skinny) though, so no puffy models will do. Good luck!

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I recently received several patches from my Father from squadrons that he flew in

I have been down the ebay path and dont really want an older, used jacket, but a clean start. Any thoughts?
Sounds like you're talking about a Korean War jacket. If that's the case, you're probably talking about an M-422 or a 55j14. They differ from "modern" G-1s most visibly in collar size and pocket flap design. They also lack the "USN" on their wind flaps. Instead, they usually have a stencil on the collar.

I think you are on the right track about the G&B jackets. I've nothing but good things about this one:

http://www.gibson-barnes.com/Navy+M-422A/id/18/cat_id/18/prod_id/52/

AF

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've got one. It's an awesome jacket. It was new in the picture below, but looks nearly the same now. (It's six years later and I certainly look more worn!)

MSGM422A.JPG

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
The jacket in my link is actually an M-422A...which was a WWII jacket. But there were many M-422As used in Korea. In fact, probably more 422s were used than 55J14s. The G&B isn't inexpensive, but everyone I know who owns one is very happy with it.

AF

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
The G-1 feels warmer than the A-2. Or it could be just me.

I've always thought the opposite. The G-1 is more closely cut in the torso and traps less air than the A-2. Also, the G-1 has a nylon lining, which has a R rating of zero.

But truthfully, both jackets look cool and really are. They were designed as wind breakers and have no insulation. If you're looking for a warm flight jacket, think pre-1973 MA-1.

AF

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Af,
Agreed on the MA-1. The early ones weigh a ton. I was told they have a wool lining similar to the old WWII wool overcoats. I never cut one open but they are heavy and very warm. Not like the 80's MA-1. Being an Air Force town since the 40's, the yard sales yield one or two a year around here.
As far as best G-1, The best I have worn was the blue tag Cooper. It was a monster size (50) but the price was 25.00 new!!! at a flea market, still in the bag and Cooper box. It was way big, and the leather was very soft; it drapped very nice. I gave it to an old retired buddy who sized up like a 50.
John

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Wrong Brando

Hey, I'm not THAT bald - or fat - yet. (Though I am bit more of both now than in that pic!)

Don't feel bad, back in the 90s I bought a 1976 Triumph Bonneville, I took it over to a friends shop to show it off. He wasn't there but his wife was, I said, do I look like Marlin Brando, she looked me over and said, "keep loosing your hair and gaining weight you will!"

Corky

Practically Family
The US NAVY's Top Gun school at Miramar either is or was right over the hill from Gibson and Barnes in San Diego. So that seems like the most logical source for these jackets when the USN pilots are in a hurry to get one.

The G&B jacket:

57.jpg

Domani

New in Town
G-1 via US Authentic-Experiences?

Anyone recently purchae a G-1 from US Authentic that can comment on quality and fit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot