Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best lovesong

happyfilmluvguy said:
"Unchained Melody" has been considered one of the greatest love songs in history.

That would be my choice as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-idDbIfGvw

"Zaret wrote "Unchained Melody" on the top of his lyric sheet and it was sung by Todd Duncan for the film's soundtrack. Although the film was quickly forgotten, the song was nominated for an Oscar and went on to become one of the most recorded songs of all time. It has topped the UK charts on four occasions - for Jimmy Young (1955), the Righteous Brothers (1990), Robson and Jerome (1995) and Gareth Gates (2002). It also made the charts for Al Hibbler, Les Baxter and his Orchestra, Liberace and Leo Sayer."

Regards,

J

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Can't choose one, but here's top 3:

Waltzing In The Clouds- Bert Ambrose and his Orchestra, vocals Anne Shelton
Long Ago & Far Away- Dick Haymes & Helen Forrest
Speak Softly Love- from The Godfather, I actually love the instrumental best, but my vocal favorite of it is by Al Martino.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I'm a little weird. I'm extremely partial to a song from The Princess Bride Soundtrack. I can't lay my hands on the album at the moment, but I'm pretty sure it is called "Storybook Love". You hear it in the closing credits of the movie.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pogues "Lorelei."

Earlier: "I'll be seeing you in all those old familiar places, that this heart of mine embraces," etc. Everyone did it. It is, I think, WW2 era.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I'd have to say Paper Moon, as its the first song I learned on mandolin well enough to play and sing for my wife. She still gets weepy everytime she hears it.

Richard

Dixon Cannon

I have to agree witht the Chairman of the Board...

Frank Sinatra said that 'Something' by the Beatles was the greatest love song of the 20th Century. He should know! What he didn't know was that it was composed by George Harrison and not Lennon-McCartney as he had asserted. ("Stick around, Jack!...she just might show!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Something

-dixon cannon

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
I'm a little weird. I'm extremely partial to a song from The Princess Bride Soundtrack. I can't lay my hands on the album at the moment, but I'm pretty sure it is called "Storybook Love". You hear it in the closing credits of the movie.

OHHHH! No one knows that song! YES!!! BINGO! Way to go Joie!!!!!!!!

K

killertomata

For me there are love songs that make you feel lovey, and some that don't do that but describe what you feel.

For the first, my favorite is At Last by Etta James.

For the other, my favorite is Bei Mir Bist Du Sch??n. I adore the Andrews Sisters version, but it's tied with Janis Siegel's version which rocks.

Dr Doran

sinister

How about that "love" song from Three Penny Opera/Dreigroschenoper which Mackie Messer/Mack the Knife sings in duet with the streetwalker about their days living together when he was her "manager"?

in jener Zeit, die jetzt vergangen ist ...

Actually that's not very romantic at all.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Folks,

I like love songs that are sad or even a bit tragic. Expecting to Fly by Neil Young is my all-time favorite.

There you stood
on the edge of your feather,
Expecting to fly.
While I laughed,
I wondered whether
I could wave goodbye,
Knowin' that you'd gone.
By the summer it was healing,
We had said goodbye.
All the years
we'd spent with feeling
Ended with a cry,