Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best lovesong

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
Any recording of Jerome Kern's "All The Things You Are." Mushes me up every time.
"You are the angel glow that lights a star
The dearest things I know are what you are"
I don't know if I have a particular favorite, but you picked a good one.
I think I have a version by Artie Shaw with Helen Forrest singing, very swoony.
Come to think of it, and of that era, I really like the Glenn Miller arrangement of "Serenade in Blue".
My girlfriend and I have a thing with "You're Just Too Good to be True", but I really don't like the song that much. It just became a thing.

You're Mine, You!

I'm afraid i like the love songs with the hint of darkness, the menace and absolute dependence behind the strong emotions. Especially as sung by Chet Baker. Such melancholy has never been expressed more profoundly.

You're mine, you.
You belong to me, you.
I will never free you.
You're here with me to stay

bk

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
I'm afraid i like the love songs with the hint of darkness, the menace and absolute dependence behind the strong emotions.

You'll like "Every Breath You Take" then Baron?

Edward

Bartender
Tough call. I'm a sucker for the Spector stuff, especially Baby I Love You, and especially the Ramones' version from End of a Century, their 1981 album he produced.

I love the Beach Boys' God Only Knows - something about opening a love song with "I may not always love you..." Catatonia pulled out a few good ones too, in that beautiful bouncy-guitar-pop concealing very dark lyrics way - Mulder & Scully, Strange Glue, You've Got a Lot to Answer For....

The Pogues did some great stuff as well, not least Fairytale of New York, as heartbreaking now as it was back in '87.

I also adore Teenage Kicks by the Undertones, but I don't think it really counts here, being as it's actually about teenage Irish Catholic boys, ehm.... interfering with themselves because they can't get girlfriends....

The Clash's Should I Stay of Should I Go, Train in Vain, among others.

Frank and Nancy's Something Stupid is a classic (I have that as a ringtone on one particular number in my mobile phonebook, my little joke with myself!).

Beyond the Sea is a real favourite too.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
"I Love You Because" by Elvis (I know, he didn't write it)

I love you because you understand dear
Every single thing I try to do.
You're always there to lend a helping hand, dear.
I love you most of all because you're you.

No matter what the world may say about me,
I know your love will always see me through.
I love you for the way you never doubt me.
But most of all I love you 'cause you're you.

I love you because, because my heart is lighter
honey everytime, everytime I'm walking by your side
and I love you, yes I love you because the future is a little bit brighter
and the door, the door of my happiness, you open wide

No matter what may be the style or season,
I know your heart will always be true.
I love you for a hundred thousand reasons,
But most of all I love you 'cause you're you.

Bobby Darin "Wear My Ring" - I like Gene Vincent's version of it

Sam Cooke - "I'll Come Runnin' Back To You", "Just For You", "Nothing Can Change This Love, "Rome (Wasn't Built In A Day)", "That's Where It's At".... or anything in his catalogue. You just cannot top Cooke's pure genius and raw emotion.

I'm also a sucker for Elvis's version of "Trying to get to you" :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran