Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best way to clean the lining in a waxed jacket

Apdl

New in Town
Thoughts on how to clean the flannel without harming the waxed cotton

Lining is not removable

Thanks!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
What do you mean by cleaning?

If it's just a little grubby you can use a warm moist cloth or sponge and brush the worst off. Same as you would the waxed cotton itself.

Apdl

New in Town
Seb, thanks for your response

I picked up a filson Westlake jacked and I use to my light weight Columbia jacket that I can just toss in the washer when ever I like (or my wife likes).

I'm concerned the flannel will start to smell like "old sweat" after a few months of use and may get a little grimey from skin oil.

How do you wash it?

I am planning on wearing this every day for up to 6 months of the year (Minnesota).

The jacked was $190 at the filson store so I think it was a good deal but let's face it, I'm an engineer that hunts once a year and does not need a very robust jacket. I just think it's beautiful but might not be right for me.

Thoughts?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
In over ten years I've never washed my current waxed cotton jacket. Just hang in the sun and air for a few hours once or twice a year. We live in an era where we are overly concerned with cleanliness, etc.

Most outdoor people I know wear their waxed cotton every day for 6-8 months and all they do to it is re-wax every 2 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany