Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best way to get an Aero?

Andy

New in Town
I've think I'm set on an Aero, sorta. Anyway, I've seen the guy with the Aero store on ebay, but I can also order direct from the Aero website. Is there a reason one way is better than the other?

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Seems Mark's prices run slightly higher than the pound/dollar exchange rate, but he does pay for the customs ans shipping. Aero ships to the US for free anyway (for any order over 350 pounds which is about the cost of the average Aero jacket). Factoring in the higher cost/paid-for customs vs. the lower cost/customs-applicable it works out to roughly the same price either way.

Baggers

Practically Family
I've bought all my Aeros directly from Scotland. As stated earlier, shipping is free for any jacket over 350 UKP. I've gotten great service from Amanda and the shipping is lightening fast, taking about 3 or 4 days from door to door. A fellow on the Vintage Flight Jacket forum ordered an instock jacket on Thursday and it arrived today (Saturday)!

As for Customs, it's my opinion that it's a hit or miss kind of thing. I've ordered a lot of stuff from overseas in the last few years, and I just got hit with Duty fees for the first time in I-don't-how-long on my Barnstormer from Aero. And it was only about 40 bucks, including the USPS processing fee. No big whoop. You won't believe this, but the guy who delivered the jacket on a Sunday forgot to collect it! He had me sign for the package, handed it over and left. I only saw the notice on the top of the box when I was opening it! I went ahead and paid it about a week later at the Post Office because I didn't want to have any bad karma when my next order was delivered. It really is haphazard.

Personally, I'll keep giving my custom to Amanda. Besides, she's probably a lot better looking than Mark Moye. ;)

Cheers!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
YesBut

I'm going through the same process myself. I've been corresponding with Mark and he's been 100% A+ to work with. I think that sort of attention and hard work should be encouraged.
I think it's down to either the Aero A2 1940 contract FQHH or the ELC Roughwear 1401. :)

Unless it's the Aero shearling B3...

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
The Mad Hatter said:
So far as I know, you can only get Aero sale items directly from Scotland.
I too have only ordered my Aero goods directly from Scotland, mainly dealing with Will. Splendid chap.

shamus

Suspended
I haven't bought a new jacket in a few years. I always delt with Ken and ordered directly. I actually started selling aero on ebay before mark back when they were looking for a US rep.

Of course the exchange rate was a lot less than today.

I guess I've got my jacket "fix" for now. A2, half-belt, D1, B-10 covers most of my needs. Although I still check out their sales every week.

The best time to get a jacket from them is when they're making a new model or training someone. Also ask about their "New Republic" label. It's basically to train new people and you get a deal. It's all aero and a lot less. My half-belt is that label.

As to customs, I always got hit. But it was about 30 bucks. Well worth it for what you get!

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Answer to Scotrace and Andy

Hi,
Have dealt with Mark and Amanda and they are both great to work with. Just got this old Aero (from the 1980s) on their Used rack. It is fantastic great leather great character:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c140/greyhound68/VA543_b_1.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c140/greyhound68/VA543_c_1.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c140/greyhound68/va543nametag1.jpg
VA543_c_1.jpg

As far as jackets I have owned both a ELC 1401 and the 1938 Aero (which is about the same as the 1940). My vote goes with the Aero.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Buying from Aero

I call in at the factory when I can. They have sale items that never make it onto the website. Really meant for the locals, I guess.

With my Senior Citizens card it costs me about the same to go 400 miles on National Express Coaches as the cost of shipping.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
...aaah but walking wouldn't cost you anything at all Alan-

I'm surprised that people don't ask you for proof of your age- you don't look old enough... I guess the OAP card IS proof though... isn't it..?

You must be able to get cheap haircuts too then...

B;)
T

rick5150

One of the Regulars
Cost:
I found buying directly from Scotland to be slightly cheaper. At the time of my purchases, the jacket I was looking at (The Highwayman) was selling for $729.00 in the US location, with free shipping. The same jacket cost $380 GBP or only $678.59 USD. That is a difference of $50.41 USD.

Here is where it gets fun. The first jacket cost me $47.50 in customs fees, so I still saved a couple of bucks. However the second jacket must have bypassed customs and there was no charge. This made the jacket from Scotland cheaper. So it is a crapshoot, but it appears that you have nothing to lose for trying as it still comes out close with the customs fee.

Shipping:
My experiences with Aero showed me that their shipping times are excellent. While I understand this is not necessarily typical, the first jacket shipped on Thursday and arrived on the following Monday. The second jacket shipped on a Thursday as well and arrived on Christmas Day which was a also a Sunday. I am still floored by that.

Customer Service:
Both Mark Moye and Amanda Stevens are excellent to work with. They also have a great working relationship with each other. Mark returns e-mails quickly and answers any questions you may have. Amanda also returns e-mails quickly, but you have to remember that there is a time difference between where you are and where she is. No matter which Aero you choose, you are in good hands.

Considerations:
If you want to make any changes to the jacket at all, you probably want to deal with Aero/Scotland since they will be aware of the exact status of your jacket at any given time. They will know which leathers are in stock, which zippers are available etc.

JWG

Familiar Face
Word to the wise, sometimes the customs fees get mailed to you at a later date.

The convenience of Mark Moye is tremendous--I think it's worth the extra few bucks to have the customs/duties paid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy