Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Winter Shirt

simonc

Practically Family
Okay fellas winter is coming, we have our leather jackets in place, tweeds and military too. What I'd like to see here is some great chat and excellent links on warm winter shirts.

I'll kick this off. I am about to take possession of this http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65114?feat=783-GN1&page=1933-chamois-cloth-shirt in slate as it is known. The shirt is fitted in the body and arms which is going to work well with this new batch of jackets we all have and about 7oz in weight - a nice heavy cloth. If you like it contact them and ask for the "Slate" as they are about to put them up, I say this as the Slate all went within a week last year. Great price. Here is the original advert for it using the exact same pattern today.

3pcQVix.jpg

So what is your winter shirt of choice? What are you pondering for this season?

Last edited:

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Okay fellas winter is coming, we have our leather jackets in place, tweeds and military too. What I'd like to see here is some great chat and excellent links on warm winter shirts.

I'll kick this off. I am about to take possession of this http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65114?feat=783-GN1&page=1933-chamois-cloth-shirt in slate as it is known. The shirt is fitted in the body and arms which is going to work well with this new batch of jackets we all have and about 7oz in weight - a nice heavy cloth. If you like it contact them and ask for the "Slate" as they are about to put them up, I say this as the Slate all went within a week last year. Great price. Here is the original advert for it using the exact same pattern today.

3pcQVix.jpg

I have this shirt in the light gray color. Very nice shirt and it does fit trim. Is "slate" a darker gray?

winterland1

Practically Family
I am not ready for winter yet. Summer just getting going here and looking forward to a nice long one. Then a nice long fall.
Layering is the key here in Minnesota. I have the LL Bean chamois shirt in blue. Very nice shirt.
My go to when it is really cold the the LL Bean commando. I have it in black.
commado.jpg

The other warm sweater is a Filson 100% wool.
The best part is I purchased the LL Bean chamois and Filson sweater like new on Ebay for a steal. The Bean commando on sale from Beans website.

simonc

Practically Family
Grayland yeah the slate is near black.
Thanks for the feedback winterland. What other brands do you guys go to which have a vintage look?
Thanks Thor I will try that one.

majormajor

One Too Many

3pcQVix.jpg

Looks good. Might just go for one:D;)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
72CR1XBchar_lg.jpg

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=72cr

Luxurious, refined, yet practical Viyella® shirt fabric has been renowned for years. The vivid color, soft hand, and sturdy weave of these button-up shirts for men result from a process that began in 1784, just outside Nottingham, England. The process spins together a blend of 80% long-staple, combed pima cotton and 20% Australian merino wool fibers to create a yarn that lends Viyella fabric its signature combination of a smooth hand and durability that only betters with age. Button-down collar. Patch pocket. Two-button cuffs. Button up shirts for men are made from cotton/wool. Washable.

winterland1

Practically Family
72CR1XBchar_lg.jpg

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=72cr

Luxurious, refined, yet practical Viyella® shirt fabric has been renowned for years. The vivid color, soft hand, and sturdy weave of these button-up shirts for men result from a process that began in 1784, just outside Nottingham, England. The process spins together a blend of 80% long-staple, combed pima cotton and 20% Australian merino wool fibers to create a yarn that lends Viyella fabric its signature combination of a smooth hand and durability that only betters with age. Button-down collar. Patch pocket. Two-button cuffs. Button up shirts for men are made from cotton/wool. Washable.

I like this Orvis shirt. Just when I thought I was done spending money.

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
I prefer wool shirts when it's cold, with merino underneath. There are some okay military repro ones available, often good value, from What Price Glory and other sellers/makers. I like Pendleton a lot, too.

Darcy in the UK used to sell a great heavy cotton French workwear-style pullover shirt - I recommend that one if they still do it; I've a couple and they're warm, look better and better with use and don't seem to wear out.

Last edited:

carldelo

One Too Many
I picked up these two last fall and have been quite pleased with both. The Pendleton Lodge shirt reminds me a lot of the ones I had as hand-me-downs when I was a kid. I especially like the pattern-matched pocket with no flap; the black/charcoal looks like a shirt I had back when. It's called medium weight, but seems pretty heavy to me - wish it had a square bottom hem:
http://www.pendleton-usa.com/product/LODGE-SHIRT/166295.uts

The J Peterman wool twill is medium weight and has a great texture, reminds me of an old vintage ranger shirt I had years ago. This shirt is fairly ligth weight as wool shirts go:
http://www.jpeterman.com/Mens-Things/LC-US-Cavalry-Twill-Shirt

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Goodness gracious guys it's swelterin' here!!!! All this winter shirt talk ain't makin' me no cooler!!!! Good thread though, I must admit I'm getting ready for fall jacket season already!

Worf

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
OH Boy! Cold weather gear is one of my vices!

I've got a Bean one (exactly?) like that, about ten years old. It's a favorite.

I recently acquired four 1951 US Army surplus wool field shirts. They fit like they were made for me. They are twice as thick as my Bean shirt. One (or two) will be committed to work detail and the rest will be for frosty days and nights at home and 'round about. They have the potential to be daily wear.

I can't wait for the sub-zero temperatures to return!

(Thinking back, it may be closer to fifteen or more years old. Mine is a dark 'burnt' red that I don't see offered in their ad. I usually wear it as an overshirt, unbuttoned.)

Last edited:

simonc

Practically Family
Good posts men. Orvis looks great, thanks A.C. I will be checking that out. The Darcy looks lovely too, thanks for that. Sorry Worf, I know you poor bastards are sweltering out there, here in Blighty we are sittin' on about 20 degs cool breeze sunny skies, but the one thing we all got in common is winters a comin'. That Battlefield looks sweet too, great suggestion Cardelo. I was thinking about Gaberdine, I got a nice one last year from the front (that war site) WW11 officers one, that's pretty heavy.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw