Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Big Band Leader Signatures

RetroToday

A-List Customer
This weekend I won a lot of three Big Band leader's signatures at an auction, for only three dollars.
I love Big Band music, so it was great to come across these.
One signature of Gene Krupa on one of his 78 album covers, one of Tony Pastor and one of Les Brown on matted photographs. All seem to be from the 1940s.

The tattered Gene Krupa album cover was on the top of the lot so the auctioneer (and the buyers) didn't know the other portraits were underneath. That's probably why I got a deal on them.

I'm not a collector of signatures, but I can now see the attraction to them.
Makes you feel a little more connected to that bygone era when you hold an object a personality of that era signed.

3059777870_46ffce0e2a.jpg

Gene Krupa

3058939887_f977db17b1.jpg

Tony Pastor

3059775918_84fe8d0468.jpg

Les Brown

K

kpreed

Great find and what a deal!:eusa_clap Thanks for the share.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Back at the old digs I have several autographed pieces including pix of Jimmy Dorsey, Glen Gray, Ray Noble, Ted Weems, Joe Haymes, and Raymond Scott. I'll try and remember to post them when I'm back there at Xmas time.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Basie Band

Among my many and varied possessions is a 1961 newspaper with the entire Basie Band's signatures. One of my most prized possessions. Next time I stumble across it I'll scan and post.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Thanks for the comments guys.

I would love to see the signatures you all have too. Those are all great musicians! :eusa_clap

The next step for me will be to ask the seller who exactly "Joe" was or is (That name appears on the portraits) - I couldn't ask him during the auction.
I'm hoping there's a story behind it like he was a member of those bands.
I think the seller will be at the next auction, can't wait to ask him.

Blackjack

One Too Many
The only thing i worry about with collecting this kind of thing is authenticity. I don't know much about the others you have there $al, but i can guarantee you that the Krupa signature is authentic. I met him in 73 at the Sherman House in Chicago and he signed some stuff for me and that is most definitely his signature! Congrats!!!!
geneandme-1.jpg

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
I have two Bandleaders autographs on the same page- Maynard Ferguson and Buddy Rich. I saw them on a double bill at the Idora Park Ballroom in Youngstown, Ohio back in 1976 or 1977-wow, what a fantastic show that was!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Sol Yaged

I happened to stop into Sofia's Restaurant near Times Square last night to catch Vince Giordano and his Nighthawks. I was lucky enough to catch Bob Wilbur sitting in on the soprano sax for a couple of songs, but I was also privileged to be around for Sol Yaged's 86th birthday. I got an autograph AND a piece of birthday cake!
Sol first heard Benny Goodman in 1935 when he was 12. He followed Goodman around so incessantly that the great clarinetist dubbed him his "shadow". He learned the instrument well. Sol played a couple of numbers last night that were absolute time machines back to 1938. Sublime.
There are still a few of the old guys out there. If you ever get the chance, make the effort.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Blackjack said:
The only thing i worry about with collecting this kind of thing is authenticity. I don't know much about the others you have there $al, but i can guarantee you that the Krupa signature is authentic. I met him in 73 at the Sherman House in Chicago and he signed some stuff for me and that is most definitely his signature! Congrats!!!!
geneandme-1.jpg

Wow! :eusa_clap

Blackjack, that's incredible you met Gene Krupa and got some signatures, especially since you also got that photo of you and him together!
You're doubly lucky because he passed away that year, you met with him just in time.

Sadly, I would never have been able to meet him in '73, I wasn't born for another four years. I would have loved to sit and chat.

Thanks for the confirmation on my signed cover, very good to hear. I was a little concerned about authenticity, but (as far as I know) the signatures did come from a trustworthy person.

Blackjack

One Too Many
He was there representing Slingerland drums, and we were there as finalists in a High School jazz band compitition. (and I stand corrected it was 72 not 73) The great thing about that was that picture was taken by a Tribune photographer who was walking around and made it into the paper. I was so thrilled I sent him a copy of the picture thanking him and that Christmas he sent me a Christmas card with the poem "A Different Drummer" on it.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Blackjack said:
He was there representing Slingerland drums, and we were there as finalists in a High School jazz band compitition. (and I stand corrected it was 72 not 73) The great thing about that was that picture was taken by a Tribune photographer who was walking around and made it into the paper. I was so thrilled I sent him a copy of the picture thanking him and that Christmas he sent me a Christmas card with the poem "A Different Drummer" on it.

Great story Blackjack, thanks for sharing more of it here. :eusa_clap

Chas

One Too Many
A Decca 78 that was found in a box of records given to me by a friend of mine. She had no interest in 78s, but I sure enjoyed finding this. Autographed by Glen Gray.

glen.jpg

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Chas said:
A Decca 78 that was found in a box of records given to me by a friend of mine. She had no interest in 78s, but I sure enjoyed finding this. Autographed by Glen Gray.

Incredible! I like Glen Gray & His Casa Loma Orchestra a lot, what a great find.

Gray's Orchestra used to be named the Orange Blossoms, but were renamed after the famous landmark "Casa Loma" when they played gigs here in Toronto, Ontario for eight months in 1928.
Funny thing is, they never played at Casa Loma, which was a hotel at that point in time.

casa_loma_toronto_view.jpg

Austerityaudio

New in Town
Signatures

I was quite happy to find Nat Gonella's Signature in a Program I purchased on ebay, it was from a Show in London "Stars In Battledress" a fund raising event for the Army Benevolent Fund. It also fetures other stars of the Era but Nat being one of my Fav's I was quite Chuffed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner