Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Big & Tall Head? Low Slung Ears? I Have No Idea What I’m Doing.

Barz51

New in Town
Hello All,
I’m just getting into vintage fedoras and am a little lost. I do have a new Stormy Kromer that I’ve gotten several positive comments on and I really like. I also have a pith helmet that I ware once a year at a car show I help put on, I don’t get as many positive comments on that one. :D Anyhow, I really would like get a nice fedora and I think the vintage route is the most affordable for a good quality hat.

Here is my problem. I like to wear my hats low, just above my eyes and ears. Well that is how I wear a ball cap or my Kromer. As you can see from the pictures I’ve got a tall forehead region. I think a C or diamond bash would be the best for getting a little extra height inside the hat but that is about as far as I can get. I don’t care for the stingy brim look and with my big head and wide shoulders it would look a little silly anyhow. I’m really looking for suggestions. I like a wider brim but not too wide (how’s that for clarity). I also like a taller hat but I’m not too sure how that would look on a round face like mine. I like the Dobbs in the picture below. But the Borsalino, which should be a nicer hat, just does not look right to me, I'm not sure why. I almost bought the Dobbs but the meeting I was in lasted too long and we did not get out in time for me to bid on it. I’m pretty sure I’m a 7 ½ and somewhere between regular oval and long oval. I’m about 5’ 11” and 240 lbs if that helps. Any suggestions from makers to models, from crown height to brim width will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Profile for your consideration
Triumph007-1.jpg

My wife April and I before chaperoning prom.
Prom010.jpg

Vintage Dobbs, too stingy?
fbb8_3.jpg

Vintage Borsalino, something just does not look right.
801b_1.jpg

indycop

I'll Lock Up
From the side your head looks like mine. I don't know how much you want to spend but customs are a good option. Also some of the tall crowned Akubra's would work good.:)

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Welcome Barz51...
First...get a cloth tape measure....wrap it 'round that tall head and get a good measurement...nothin' worse than gettin' a hat that don't fit...:D ...Then browse the Lounge and see what styles you like or cath your eye. Maybe have the wife help...Then...start looking for a hat...and color of hat...etc...

Colby Jack has given some pretty good advice. The cloth tape measure should go around your forehead where you would want the hat's sweatband to sit. Perhaps it might change the original idea of what size you should get---especially if you want to wear it lower on your forehead.
Then you might also want to measure up from that point to the top of your head---vertically of course. ;) :D That will give you an idea of the minimum height you need for the crown.
Nice bike by the way. :D

carter

I'll Lock Up
kaosharper1 said:
I think you have to show us how you look in these hats.

Agreed. The 1st thing is to let us see how you look in the hats you have. I'm sure that (most) comments will be gentle and helpful.
I don't know that they are still available, but one of my best-fitting hats is a Mallory wide-oval.

Barz51

New in Town
Thanks for the tips. I'll get a tailors tape and get some more accurate measurements.

I Should have made a point of saying I don't own either hat, I just snagged the pics from Ebay. I was sold on the Dobbs but I did not get a chance to bid because the meeting I was in lasted longer than expected. That is what I get when I put work before hats!

I'd be more than willing to provide you with some "hat on" pics if I had some hats to try on. The only hats I have are too small. Does anyone know of a reputable hatter in greater Lansing, Michigan area?

Thanks for the compliment about the bike. It is a 1972 Triumph Trophy 650, that is pretty much all original at this point. It is fun to ride and with the price of gas it is definitely a worth braving the chilly mornings.

Barz51

New in Town
I don't like my hats ridiculously low, I've just never been a fan of a high perched hat. I like my head to go into a hat rather than a hat that goes on my head. I'm not sure if that is any clearer. :rolleyes:

Barz51 said:
I don't like my hats ridiculously low, I've just never been a fan of a high perched hat. I like my head to go into a hat rather than a hat that goes on my head. I'm not sure if that is any clearer. :rolleyes:

Makes sense to me. You will find what size fits you the best and then go from there. It may need to be a little larger than if you have hat on head though. ;)

Barz51

New in Town
Hello Fellas, Sorry for the delay in the response. I've been looking for a hat (found one!) and I lost my internet access. I teach high school and the main server for the area blocked the FL! I bought a new computer for home and now I'm having issues getting internet access at home. I'm only 15 minutes from the state capitol but apparently it's the boon docks!

Anyhow, I bought an older Dobbs on Ebay. It has a few moth nibbles but no holes and it is nice enough to wear but it was still inexpensive enough to gamble on the size. It is a 5/8 and it feels a little tight but it is not uncomfortable. It does leave my forehead a little red when I take it off.

The hat has a 2 inch brim, I think a little wider brim would work a little better. I also think a more vertical and taller crown would match my face/body better. Let me know what you think!

CoryandAprilPhoto.jpg

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
That hats looks great, but I agree about taller, straighter crowns and wider brims. You should give that style a try, but I would certainly keep that Dobbs in the rotation:eusa_clap

RBH

Bartender
Welcome to the Louge!
I think you look good in a hat. But I believe a wider brim would suit you better.
From the looks in the photo I would say the hat is sitting about right on your head.
You might try a 7 3\4 if the 7 5\8s is too tight.

jpbales

Practically Family
that hat does seem to suit you quite well, you wear it well! I think you could also pull of a wider/taller hat easily too.
7 5/8 is a pretty large size, which, unfortunately, can make it hard (certainly not impossible) to find vintage hats.
You said that you might have a long oval head, which could be why it fits tight in the front and leaves those red marks, which is something you probably want to figure out. If your head is long oval, then finding hats that fit right will be even more difficult. The way to find out is to get an outline of your head (like around where you want your hat to fit) and measure the length and the width and refer to this which I nabbed off of another thread:

The categories have a Length minus Width difference as follows:
Oval = 5/8"....................Regular Oval = 1-3/8"
Long Oval = 2-1/8"..........X-Long Oval = 2-7/8"
XX-Long Oval = 3-5/8".....XXX-Long Oval = 4-3/8"

I guess the easiest way to do this is to get a "conformer," which I haven't done myself so you'd need to ask someone else about. How I did it, was I took some stiff paper (like file-folder paper) and cut a hole in it, then stuck it on my head, then trimmed it until it fit the way I wanted my hats to. Then I just measured the hole. It may take a few tries to get it right.

Good luck with everything, and welcome to the lounge!
Jimmy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn