Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bigalli Hats

mjsenkow

New in Town
Bigalli Fedoras

I was recently in Atlanta and in a "vintage" clothing store in Little Five Points, I found some hats. These appeared new to me, and I wasn't familiar with the brands. I'm in the market for a lightweight cap, as the irish tweed flat cap I wear on a near-daily basis is a bit heavy for warm weather, especially in my current living arrangements (the South, I'm from the North and the humidity down here is something else). There were a number of linen caps, and I am kicking myself for not buying one while I was there, as I found afterward the store price was over $10 cheaper than the hat maker's price on their own site. They were labeled the New York Hat Company. There was also a selection of fedoras by Bigalli, I think around $45. I didn't get any results searching this forum for those company names, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these hat makers, especially Bigalli. I'm new to fedoras, so I don't even know if that is a good price, though I'm sure that depends a lot on what the quality of that brand is, which is an unknown to me.

Oh, I believe this is my first post. Hello forum!

THose names don't ring a bell to me. When it comes to hats you can find a wide variety of makers, quality levels and styles. $45 for a fedora puts it at or above a costume piece but more of an inexpensive entry level hat. It is most likely made of wool felt and will last a few years but will need replacement. If you are looking for something just to see if you like fedoras it may be the way to go. However, if you do like wearing fedoras chances are you'll look to getting another at some point. In the realm of fedoras most will tell you that a good hat that will last a long time and can be cleaned and reshaped calls for fur felt. That is the next jump up and it was what most men wore before the 1960's. Like most things as you move up in quality you move up in price. That maybe the question: go for an inexpensive hat to satisfy my needs now or wait, save and go for a better hat.

We have shops and makers associated with the Lounge and you can read about peoples experiences to try to give you an idea as to what choices are open to you. In the end you have to find what you like and balance it with what your budget will bear.

Also there is vintage and ebay is often the place to do some observation as to that area of the domain.

Best wishes and have fun!

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Bigalli hats are all produced in Eucador. The name of the company is Yanapi . They are known for making hats of wool , fur felt and straw. As for their value, the wools are nice, probably on par with Bollman -much better than the Chinese crap. I will give them credit for their interesting designs and trimmings.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Bingles

A-List Customer
Has anyone ever ordered a hat from Bigalli hats? They have some cool straw hats on their website, but don't list prices or an order form. I was curious if anyone knew how to get a hat from them? [huh]

Ankerstjerne

New in Town
I bought a Bigalli Australian Panama Fedora at Village Hat Shop in Long Beach during the Labor Day weekend. It had never heard of the brand until I was looking through the VHS's holiday ad. I'm enjoying wearing it; something about it gives me the impression of being a gentleman inspite of the accompanying blue jeans and cowboy shirt. The texture of the straw seems to be a bit more flexible than that of Scala Outback Panama and Jaxon MJ Panama Outback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran