Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Biker jacket cleaning

All of the original wear/patina on this jacket will return within a few monhs. Pigment really can't be restored with waxes and oils (unless it has pigment in it) something like black urad would bring the jacket back to "as new" in appearance, for a little longer anyway.

Yango

One of the Regulars
Just because it absorbs the stuff doesn't necessarily mean it was dry.
I’m not an expert at this, but the jacket sucked the dressing up very quickly. And it certainly felt dry and kind of stiff. The leather feels much more natural now. Pliable and supple.

Yango

One of the Regulars
All of the original wear/patina on this jacket will return within a few monhs. Pigment really can't be restored with waxes and oils (unless it has pigment in it) something like black urad would bring the jacket back to "as new" in appearance, for a little longer anyway.
I like the wear and tear on the leather, as Marc mndt said: it’s got character. I considered using the Pecard’s Dressing that has black dye in it, but decided that I don’t want that.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I like the wear and tear on the leather, as Marc mndt said: it’s got character. I considered using the Pecard’s Dressing that has black dye in it, but decided that I don’t want that.
I think you did the exactly right thing in cleaning that jacket. Gently wash with a mild detergent, and whatever oils were stripped, you replenished with multiple treatments of Pecards. This jacket is good for another 50 years.

I’ll leave the black shoe paste to you, thanks.
Why? Because you know better than anyone else on this forum on how to clean and condition a leather jacket so my advice is wrong?

Let me break down yet another step of your "cleaning" process that you messed up.

Any decent shoe paste consists mostly of several types of waxes, paraffin and oil(s), all of which acts as a coat of a protective, glossy sealant while keeping the leather lightly conditioned. Sounds familiar? Yeah, basically a top-coat finish, which is exactly what is missing at the parts of the jacket you have mistakenly identified as being dry and exactly what you had been hoping to restore. Acting like any regular leather finish, the shoe paste/polish would've kept the edges protected from fraying, drying and soaking up elements.

The fuzzy edges as a matter of fact do appear dry though not because of the wear and age of the jacket, no. They are dry because you soaked the jacket into a bathtub filled with warm water and detergent. It's what water (and especially detergent) does to suede. It dries up the exposed fibers in the leather which makes them appear coarse and stiff henceforth all leather garment makers recommend strongly against washing delicate suede.

But instead what you did was grease up the exposed fibers, making them a magnet for dust and elements while adding no protection or coating of any kind - Which is exactly why the petroleum gunk that is Pecard got so easily absorbed.

There. Now you've learned a lot.

Having only heavens and Fox Creek (for using leather that's been processed to hell and back) to thank your jacket is still okay, you might try not to immediately dismiss pretty much every advice anyone ITT has given you... Or maybe not. You do you, boo.

Believe me, the Leather was dry. I don’t know what type of axle grease you put on your jackets, but the Pecard’s Dressing absorbs completely into the leather. It was completely dry to the touch after the first application.

Coincidentally, the type of axle grease I used to put on leather was Pecard's Dressing, which is how I learned that it is not a good product.

Yango

One of the Regulars
Why? Because you know better than anyone else on this forum on how to clean and condition a leather jacket so my advice is wrong?

Let me break down yet another step of your "cleaning" process that you messed up.

Any decent shoe paste consists mostly of several types of waxes, paraffin and oil(s), all of which acts as a coat of a protective, glossy sealant while keeping the leather lightly conditioned. Sounds familiar? Yeah, basically a top-coat finish, which is exactly what is missing at the parts of the jacket you have mistakenly identified as being dry and exactly what you had been hoping to restore. Acting like any regular leather finish, the shoe paste/polish would've kept the edges protected from fraying, drying and soaking up elements.

The fuzzy edges as a matter of fact do appear dry though not because of the wear and age of the jacket, no. They are dry because you soaked the jacket into a bathtub filled with warm water and detergent. It's what water (and especially detergent) does to suede. It dries up the exposed fibers in the leather which makes them appear coarse and stiff henceforth all leather garment makers recommend strongly against washing delicate suede.

But instead what you did was grease up the exposed fibers, making them a magnet for dust and elements while adding no protection or coating of any kind - Which is exactly why the petroleum gunk that is Pecard got so easily absorbed.

There. Now you've learned a lot.

Having only heavens and Fox Creek (for using leather that's been processed to hell and back) to thank your jacket is still okay, you might try not to immediately dismiss pretty much every advice anyone ITT has given you... Or maybe not. You do you, boo.

Coincidentally, the type of axle grease I used to put on leather was Pecard's Dressing, which is how I learned that it is not a good product.
You’ve got a pretty condescending way of getting your point across. I never asked for any advice from you, and certainly don’t need your triggered angry ranting.

I did what I did, I’m no expert, and never claimed to be one.

It came out great in my opinion despite my complete lack of knowledge.

Thanks for the lecture.

Last edited:

Yango

One of the Regulars
Well, the final step. The inside pocket had absorbed so much sweat over the years, that it completely disintegrated after the washing. No big deal, I took it to a local leather garment maker, and it’s going to cost about twenty five bucks to get a new pocket installed.
I should have it back well before my ride to Americade this month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn