Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bill Kelso A-2's - What's the consensus?

majormajor

One Too Many
There is no contradiction. Clay has such properties.

Hi Hyptul

I studied Ceramics many years ago at Art College, so I am fully up to speed with the properties of clay.

Up to press, I haven't worn any jackets made of it.

If it wasn't obvious to you, I was refering to those two statements in relation to Horse Hide[huh]

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
Hi Hyptul

I studied Ceramics many years ago at Art College, so I am fully up to speed with the properties of clay.

Up to press, I haven't worn any jackets made of it.

If it wasn't obvious to you, I was refering to those two statements in relation to Horse Hide[huh]

MM, to be honest I don't understand your holy war against BK.

Andy made two jackets for me, one was an M-422 the other an A-2 BK model.

He also sent me a goatskin RW but I liked more the BK so he exchanged the jackets, in the long e-mail discussion I understood that he deeply respect GW's job and takes John's work as a benchmark.

The HH of my A-2 is not this the Victory but I'm pretty satisfied with the jacket, even if it's a new model, so what's the problem with him? I don't really understand...

majormajor

One Too Many
Hi Cuthbert

There is no "holy war" against BK. Certainly not from me. I have seen some very nice jackets made by them.

My issue is simply the odd claims made for this "new" hide, which they seem to believe gives them the edge over all other makers.

He says "You can mold it to any shape - but it won't go out of shape."

That makes no sense. To question such a statement is perfectly rational, and in no way can be construed as a "war".

My perspective it to question the long term sturdiness of what is claimed to be a hide that acts differently to previous ones we have seen.

And as it is a new product, untested on A2s, we have no way of knowing that it will keep the required shape over a long period, if it will so readily change shape when it is new.

None of the offers, kind as they are, to send out samples, can possibly address that long term unanswered question.

Last edited:

andyfalzon

Vendor
Hi Cuthbert

There is no "holy war" against BK. Certainly not from me. I have seen some very nice jackets made by them.

My issue is simply the odd claims made for this "new" hide, which they seem to believe gives them the edge over all other makers.

That makes no sense. To question such a statement is perfectly rational, and in no way can be construed as a "war".

My perspective it to question the long term sturdiness of what is claimed to be a hide that acts differently to previous ones we have seen.

And as it is a new product, untested on A2s, we have no way of knowing that it will keep the required shape over a long period, if it will so readily change shape when it is new.

None of the offers, kind as they are, to send out samples, can possibly address that long term unanswered question.

You continue with the assumptions.
This leather is made by a very experienced tannery with 100 years on its back on making leathers for garments.
It's a top quality stuff, one of the most expensive money can buy. It has been used on jackets by others in the industry before.
Luxury jackets, expensive jackets, high quality jackets.

This is true regarding the collar. That we treated the jacket with hot water is NOT true.
Yes you can mold the collar, but it won't go out of shape because it's neither soft nor floppy. It's no non sense at all.
But forget that statement, it's not important.

What's important is that I offered to send you sample to see for yourself but you chickened.
I rest my case.

majormajor

One Too Many
You continue with the assumptions.
This leather is made by a very experienced tannery with 100 years on its back on making leathers for garments.
It's a top quality stuff, one of the most expensive money can buy. It has been used on jackets by others in the industry before.
Luxury jackets, expensive jackets, high quality jackets.

This is just getting stupid. I never said there was anything wrong with the hide. My only issue is your claims for it relating to A2s.

I am sure that it is wonderful, high quality stuff. But that is not what WW2 A2s were made of. They were made of cheap HH which molded itself, with time, in a particular way, to the wearer. This stuff acts, as you have said, in a uniquely different way.

Yes you can mold the collar, but it won't go out of shape because it's neither soft nor floppy. It's no non sense at all.
But forget that statement, it's not important.

Oh yes. Let's forget that statement - even though that was the reason I replied in the first place......

What's important is that I offered to send you sample to see for yourself but you chickened.
I rest my case.

I've already explained that your kind offer will not unfortunately enable me to try the jacket over a long period (which is the bone of contention). I asked you if you would would refund a floppy jacket after 5 years. You have not replied. So, using your logic, YOU have chickened:D:D:D

kojax

Practically Family
hello people i am getting a bill kelso a-2 jacket some time this month, andy told me my jacket is not made of the horsehide we are talking about here.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
John Chapman offers a Perry Sportswear 23377 (goat) - it's a cracking jacket: I've owned a couple (and four originals) and he has really nailed the pattern.

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
Fantastic jacket and company. I have one of their A2 Dubows in Dark Seal and it looks and feels great.
I would not hesitate to buy another one from them. For the money, IMO they are a great value.

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot