Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Billy Wilder Hat Question

Hello everyone,

Just recently I've become a big fan of Billly Wilder's work. I've been looking at pictures of him and I've noticed that he's almost always wearing a hat of some sort. Now I'm no hat expert by any means, but I'm curious to find out any information about the hats Mr. Wilder wore.
I've included some pictures:

148407227_2b42cd5d3c.jpg

148407231_05517b48ea.jpg

Here's a close up of a different hat:
148407230_e8e3e776d4.jpg

Or how about this cap?
148407228_5023d1a2d6.jpg

Can anyone tell me anything about these hats? If anybody can point me in some direction for the style or possible brand of these hats, it would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about the kinda long post. Thanks for any info in advance!

Magus

Practically Family
Rumpled Fedora said:
Hello everyone,

148407227_2b42cd5d3c.jpg

148407231_05517b48ea.jpg

Hi,

I am fairly sure that these hats are inexpensive bucket fishing hats with the brim up in back. You can get them in varying brim widths at Walmart for about $3. I got one for camping last year...because I wanted a "throwaway". But have used it for a few rough trips...most recently deep in Baja. It did the job...still does. I might even have a picture somewhere if you want.

M

Pilgrim

One Too Many
My dad wore hats like that all the time. They're inexpensive cloth hats, but they're great for working around the shop or for around the house. I'd imagine they were his work hats - don't have to worry about them or take care of them, just wear 'em and get a new one when they go downhill.

Magus

Practically Family
Rumpled Fedora said:
How about the ivy cap in the last picture.
Anyone know an online hat retailer that would sell a good ivy cap?

Thanks again.

I don't know about that specific small checked on...however I see those on eBay regularly.

Magus

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
"Gangsta fishers"!

Yeeeeeeee-ah boyyyyyyyyyy

Here is a pic of me "stylin" in my gangsta fisher....got the Dobie Gillis thang going on. (Doing charity work in Baja...shhhhh....dont let it out or by bad boyyy rep is ruined!)
Painting.jpg

M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy