Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Dahlia opening scene

Naama

Practically Family
I just saw The Black Dahlia yesterday, and I was quite clueless as with what was going on in the opening scene. A lot of sailors fighting with the police..... Was there some historic event? Did that really happen? And what was it all about? (maybe something americans know?)

Naama

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
Yes, it was the Zoot Suit Riots. I suggest you read the book by James Ellroy. It makes a lot more sense than the movie.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't think I was aware of the riots until I read the James Ellroy book, which I recommend incidentally, and that's all I know about them so I clicked on the thoughtfully provided Wikipedia link.
After scrolling to the bottom of the page, you know I had to click on Clothing Controversies!

Inky

One Too Many
BegintheBeguine said:
I don't think I was aware of the riots until I read the James Ellroy book, which I recommend incidentally, and that's all I know about them so I clicked on the thoughtfully provided Wikipedia link.
After scrolling to the bottom of the page, you know I had to click on Clothing Controversies!

I love to read about this particular time in Los Angeles history, and have a fondness for the Zoot Suit look, so here is another very good article about the very controversial suits.

Zoot Suits were controversial just by virtue of who wore them and the public's perception of that group of people, and then again because of war time rationing.

I've nearly convinced my husband he needs one ;) He's tall but needs to be a bit more slender to get away with the look. But he'd look mighty dapper in a good Zoot Suit.

Edward

Bartender
I convinced myself a while back that I "need" a zoot suit..... now all I have to do is convince myself I'd have somewhere to actually wear it.... Not exactly one for the office..... ;)

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Naama said:
I just saw The Black Dahlia yesterday, and I was quite clueless as with what was going on in the opening scene. A lot of sailors fighting with the police..... Was there some historic event? Did that really happen? And what was it all about? (maybe something americans know?)

Naama

The only part of the movie that did - almost - make any sense. Now if only someone could make heads or tails of the bit about the building, it's ownership and the incineration of Aaron Eckhart. :eusa_doh:

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Black Dahlia really needed to be filmed as a prequel to LA Confidential; since the same characters exist in Ellroy's universe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy