Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Hats on Bad Days?

Lando

Practically Family
Just my curiosity. Do you guys find you choose the hat you wear based on mood or just what goes with everything else that day? I know that when I am in a bad mood I end up wearing black hats, and when I am in a better mood I wear white. Just wanted to see if anyone else has a pattern like that in their usage or its all about the style of dress.

Lloyd

A-List Customer
My daily choice of hats is mostly based on what colors I'm wearing, or where I'm going that day.
Black or Oxblood for dressier occasions
Browns and greens for more casual
Campdraft for hiking regardless of what color clothes I'm wearing.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lando said:
Just my curiosity. Do you guys find you choose the hat you wear based on mood or just what goes with everything else that day? I know that when I am in a bad mood I end up wearing black hats, and when I am in a better mood I wear white. Just wanted to see if anyone else has a pattern like that in their usage or its all about the style of dress.
My choice of black versus white hats depends on whether I'm robbing the bank, or riding with the posse after the robbers.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I'd have to agree with most others here. I pick a hat based on what colors I'm wearing that day. My mood is more of what constitutes whether I wear a fedora, or a flat cap.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
I don't typically have a "mood = certain color" thing going on. BUT... there are some days I am definitely in the mood for a particular hat, and not some of the others, and maybe I just haven't made the connection yet.

Some times I go with colors or outfit, but I have carefully contrived to buy as many hats as possible that will go with as many outfits as possible, and so this is never a huge concern for me. Most any flat cap or fedora will go with most any of my outfits.

Some days are just flat cap days. Some days are just fedora days. Other days it doesn't matter, and still other days I end up having worn both by the end of the evening.

1961MJS

Hi

I was planning on buying a black hat w/ black ribbon to wear with my fairly basic black leather jacket. It's not really much of a biker jacket, just a plain cold weather black leather jacket. Should I buy a medium gray one with a black ribbon so as to appear in a better mood? [huh]

Not buying a white hat, I'd a good guy but white attracts spaghetti, taco sauce, coffee, and grape jelly. I once had ONE PAIR of white jeans. ONCE.

Later

One Too Many
Happy, quiet, steady ¡¡¡¡

I am always taking with calm this life and use any hat color, evident, in winter or cold mornings felt hats, in summer straw hats.
Take it easy and use any hat.
I forgot; in Hallowe´en to pick more candies with my little one Kitita, I use only black clothings and hat.:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Nope, just depends on what else I'm wearing. I might be more inclined to wear dark clothes on days I'm less cheery, but that's not a conscious thing at all.

Having said that, I'm sort of realising that black hats aren't the best look for me, mid to light colours seem to suit me better.

Edward

Bartender
Never conciously selected a hat to match my mood, though on several occasions I have picked the hat first and let that dictate what gets worn from the neck down!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Edward said:
I have picked the hat first and let that dictate what gets worn from the neck down!
Great, now I'm picturing you peering into your closet wearing nothing but your skivvies and fedora. Not the prettiest of pictures I might add.

danofarlington

Edward said:
Never conciously selected a hat to match my mood, though on several occasions I have picked the hat first and let that dictate what gets worn from the neck down!
I am starting to come around to that approach myself. It's easier to match clothes to a particular hat than vice versa. The next sportcoat I buy will have to buy a nice brown hat I recently bought. Then I need some of those longsleeve solid color casual shirts that will match. Hat and clothes ought to be in sync to some degree, but hats are more specific than clothes and harder to match up unless it's a casual hat with casual clothes.

James71

A-List Customer
I wear my black akubra bogart whenever I am playing gigs or recording music.

It puts me in the right mood and makes me feel musical. As any musician will tell you, being in the right frame of mind, or just "feeling in the right place" makes a big difference to your performance.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Things this thread has made me wonder:

What if you cheer up? Do you go hatless or change hats? Do you keep the black hat nearby in case of a relapse?

Does wearing the hat have a positive or negative effect on your mood?

Do your black hats become associated with bad days? If so, have you come to have an odd relationship with your black hats, in which you hate them, but then need to wear them because you feel hateful?

Did you know this when you bought your first black hat? If so, that's got to be the documented hat purchase in preparation for a feeling.

What if you're wearing a blue suit?

How about a black hat with a contrasting ribbon? Where does that take you?

Does the quality/shape/etc. of the black hat depend upon the degree of badness of the mood?

If you go on a trip, do you leave your black hat at home, in hopes of a positive trip, or do you bring it, recognizing that there's always a chance of emotional showers?

This is all weighing on me quite heavily. My next hat choice may be more important than I can imagine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24