Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blackeyed Peas? Who had them?

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
My wife never misses the black-eyed peas for New Year's. She forgot once in 1998 and says she had the worst year of her life.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

BORNTOOLATE

New in Town
Miss Brill said:
Black-eyed peas & hog jowl for me (I'm in TN).

Count me in. Love the jowl taste, but once a year is good enough for my arteries. Among other things, we had a little sour kraut on the side too. Larpin with the jowl!;)

panamag8or

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Geez. I thought everyone did pork & sauerkraut for New Years! Black eyed peas???

It works. I didn't have any blackeyed peas since I was in Orlando, and the Gators lost. I can only imagine how the rest of my year will go.:(

I wonder if there is a grace period?

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss Brill said:
No one else does the black-eyed peas and hog jowl for "peace & prosperity"? Is that just a Tennessee thing?

Same here in NC, too. For New Year's Day dinner (that's the middle of the day meal here) we had pork ribs, black-eyed peas, collard greens, and cornbread. We have that meal every year.

Nashoba

One Too Many
My husband won't eat beans (something about the texture I don't know) and cringed when I suggested it (california boy that he is) so we went up to town and went to the Macaroni grill. [huh] Ah well. He's touch and go with southern food. sometimes he loves what I make and other times he pushes his food around the plate to make it look like he's eaten more than he has.

He won't touch grits either ...[huh] sigh

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
I fix black-eyed peas, ham and corn bread every year. However this year I didn't not get a chance. I sat in a car for 13 hours driving from Georgia to Wisconsin. I hope I still have a good year.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
Geez. I thought everyone did pork & sauerkraut for New Years! Black eyed peas???

My first wife's (in the late 70s) father always insisted on black-eyed peas for New Years--the first I'd ever heard of it but then I'm from Los Angeles.

Now Rhonda fixes sausage and sauerkraut.

I strongly dislike both black-eyed peas and sauerkraut. :eusa_doh: Why can't there be a New Year's food tradition based on something I'll actually eat? [huh]

Maybe I'll have to create one of my own for next year. :p

Happy New Year, anyway!
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou