Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blazer buttons?

KK

New in Town
Needing a new utility blazer, I began surfing and immediately noticed that brass blazer buttons, which were at one time definitional, are now a rare sight. What's up with that?

singlechange

One of the Regulars
It used to be that every gentleman had a blue blazer in his wardrobe but the times and trend has changed where now stylish men wear their odd jackets from orphaned suits or black sportcoats. If I were you, I'd find that perfect blue blazer and source the brass buttons elsewhere. I found a moth hole ridden beautifully made blue blazer with Alan Flusser label sold by Bergdorf & Goodman and saved the heavy high quality buttons for possible later use.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
KK said:
Needing a new utility blazer, I began surfing and immediately noticed that brass blazer buttons, which were at one time definitional, are now a rare sight. What's up with that?
Are you looking for a RTW blazer with brass buttons or are you looking to source a set of brass buttons? Both are readily available.

Edward

Bartender
These days, I see more and more with silver buttons.... I have a modern Marks & Spencer one (which is quite nice) with gold tone buttons, though they're a bit light and cheap as buttons, shame, as it's a nice jacket. Also have a fifties wool db navy blazer with sliver toned buttons, and just last week picked up a beautiful, Fifties Gieves db blazer with black buttons bearing an anchor motif. My advice would be to buy the blazer you like, and then retrofit the buttons you really want. Simple job.

Edward

Bartender
IMO, the distinguishing factor for a blazer, as opposed to an orphan suit jacket, is that the buttons contrast with the cloth. Beyond that, the range is pretty wide open....

I love the look of white, horn buttons, myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner