Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bleaching "scars"

Naama

Practically Family
Ok, this one may sound strange, but from those nasty mosquitos I have some "scars" left from scratching.... Well, those are not really scars I suppose, but skin discolouring(?or whatever [huh] ) Most on my legs. And that really doesn't look all that good with see threw stockings. So my question, do you think there is a way to bleach them to get rid of them sooner?

Naama

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I've never heard of bleaching them, thought I know there are products out on the market for scars.
What I do when these sort of emergencies present themselves is get out my concealer. It really does do the trick. With something as temporary as a misquito bite mark, I would wait before putting anything major on it.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
There are bleaching creams for the face. All it is is a more concentrated pigmentation around the scar area. Those types of products should work for spots and such. They generally take a few weeks to work. Its a constant build up of small ammount of bleaching agent over a long time, but if done correctly, they do work.

LD

magneto

Practically Family
Look for any skin cream with hydroquinone (the active fading agent)...I have some great lotion that has hydroquinone, vitamin E, and sunscreen all together (important to keep the scar covered with sunscreen as scar tissue gets darker faster than regular skin.)

Another thing that works is over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream (sold as anti-itch ointment). Use this sparingly though, as it actually thins the skin.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Daisy Buchanan said:
I have a huge keloid and 2 smaller ones on my abdomen from surgeries. I swear by mederma. The smaller ones are barely visible now and the large one is not red anymore.

Yep, Mederma is the best! The one on my arm is only red in the center 1" or so, most of it has faded. That stuff really works.

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
when my kids get mosquito bites they usually disappear overnight when I put some Bactine on them. I don't have any right now so I don't know what is in it.

Irena

One of the Regulars
Tourbillion said:
...I looked at the ingredients for Mederma, the only possible active ingredient is onion extract. Weird.

According to the plant search database:
"The bulb is anthelmintic, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antispasmodic, carminative, diuretic, expectorant, febrifuge, hypoglycaemic, hypotensive, lithontripic, stomachic and tonic[4, 7, 21]. When used regularly in the diet it offsets tendencies towards angina, arteriosclerosis and heart attack[254]. It is also useful in preventing oral infection and tooth decay[254]. Baked onions can be used as a poultice to remove pus from sores[254].

Fresh onion juice is a very useful first aid treatment for bee and wasp stings, bites, grazes or fungal skin complaints[7, 201]. When warmed the juice can be dropped into the ear to treat earache[254]. It also aids the formation of scar tissue on wounds, thus speeding up the healing process, and has been used as a cosmetic to remove freckles[7]."

http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Allium+cepa+aggregatum

Very interesting.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
A keloid is a raised red scar.

I had a lesser expensive scar gel, and the main ingredient in that was also something onion-related. Weird! It seems like it really removes the red color from the scar, thus making it less noticeable. Since the definition above mentions that onion has been used to lighten freckles, I suppose that makes sense.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Naama said:
Ok, this one may sound strange, but from those nasty mosquitos I have some "scars" left from scratching.... Well, those are not really scars I suppose, but skin discolouring(?or whatever [huh] ) Most on my legs. And that really doesn't look all that good with see threw stockings. So my question, do you think there is a way to bleach them to get rid of them sooner?

Naama

Try Alpha Hydrox Enhanced Lotion. It works fast too.

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
Just a side note on this if you are using a product that has an acid in it be careful when you shave around that area or wax. The acid is exfoliating your skin off making it easier to have those wonderful nics and cuts happen.
I have only heard wonderful things about Mederma and it seems less harsh then anything else on the market you might want to give that a whrill.

nyx

One of the Regulars
Daisy Buchanan said:
I have a huge keloid and 2 smaller ones on my abdomen from surgeries. I swear by mederma. The smaller ones are barely visible now and the large one is not red anymore.

Daisy, is there any time length for using mederma? I had heard that once the scar turns white, it's too late to try and fade. I too have large abdominal scars from surgeries, one keloid and one long vertical scar, but I'm afraid it may be too late to try, and I know mederma is a bit pricey, so I don't want to waste my time.

DrMags

New in Town
Be careful with clothes. I've had some patients come back and tell me some of these products bleach clothing as well

Kinerase is interesting but true, very very expensive. i had a lady stop in the pharmacy the other day who wanted to order it, and of the two sizes available, one was $175, and the other was $185

Theres some rx ones, but unfortunately most insurances dont cover them because its "cosmetic" not "medical necessity", so your stuck paying full price and they are expensive.

Be very careful with acids. Try putting a ring of vaseline around the area around the scar, kind of like an outline. It helps prevent leaching of the acid into the surrounding skin (where you dont want )

This makes me wish my job was still in the good ol days: when I could go grab some plants dry them and mix them up into a cream for you ladies. (instead of companies mass producing things)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner