Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blocking a Panama

GearHead

One of the Regulars
I was just pondering and asking questions about getting a panama hat the other week when a friend of my wifes stopped by yesterday with one for me that she picked up Ecuador.
She does alot of travelling and knows my interest in hats and saw these being sold at small roadside type shop where they were making them.
It was rolled up when I recieved it and I have a basic shape to it now but it seems pretty flexible and not wanting to hold a nice shape.
Any suggestions on forming it further?
I'll get some pics of it tonight if I can.

Thanks,
Erick

GearHead

One of the Regulars
Here's two pics of the hat. It's a 7 1/4".

panama.jpg

panama2.jpg

Erick

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
That is a Cuenca or Canar Brisa weave hat. Many Ecuadorians put them in little balsa boxes with Montecristi stamped all over the box. You can probably get it blocked, finished, and shipped in the states for $50.00 or so.

squid

One of the Regulars
I have one of those right down to the balsa wood box and elastic band ribbon. It was a fino Monticristi on ebay. Trying to find someone to block that hat led to buying my panama.

I still have it. I've been thinking of sewing in a sweatband, trying to shape it with steam and throwing a ribbon on it. It might make a decent beater hat for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael