Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1890's Boater

DSC06290.jpg

DSC06291.jpg

DSC06293.jpg

DSC06294.jpg

DSC06295.jpg

DSC06297.jpg

DSC06298.jpg

DSC06299.jpg

randooch

I'll Lock Up
No pics are showing up on my screen, Josh. OH! there they are. Just slow loaders . . .

Dang! Where did you find that "Star Ventilator"? Awesome relic.

Last edited:

Dubya

One of the Regulars
Damn yer eyes Sir! Where do you find your fantastic hats Joshbru3!! :D

Here's me in my Dunn & Co. titfer as seen in my avatar :p

I love wearing it! When the weather permits that is.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
No pics are showing up on my screen, Josh. OH! there they are. Just slow loaders . . .

Dang! Where did you find that "Star Ventilator"? Awesome relic.

I bought it from a seller in Australia. I know I've seen that logo before in some vintage ad. I just can't find it.

Dubya

One of the Regulars
^ I agree! What a fantastic hat!
And Joshbru, I too spend quite a while trawling eBay, but you Yanks seem to have far better selection of hats on your site. All we seem to get is trilbys by the dozen! :(

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
^ I agree! What a fantastic hat!
And Joshbru, I too spend quite a while trawling eBay, but you Yanks seem to have far better selection of hats on your site. All we seem to get is trilbys by the dozen! :(

LOL. I guess its true that UK EBAY doesn't quite have the selection of vintage fedoras as the American site, but you do have your pick of phenomenal Top Hats and Bowlers. I have purchased a few hats off of UK EBAY and one of them was a trilby. The other one was a beautiful 20's/30's Dunn and Co fedora with a rolled brim.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
To me, the boater hat is the traditional men's summertime, hot-weather hat. I've been thinking of buying one. Or at least some style of straw hat. I really don't have any summer hats. All my hats are heavier rabbit/beaver-felts which are really winter/autumn hats. They make me sweat buckets in the middle of an Australian summer; and Australian summers can be punishing hot.

I saw a nice boater hat for sale at a thrift-shop once, but it was too big for me. Otherwise I may have bought it. How does one decide if they look good in a boater...

Dubya

One of the Regulars
To me, the boater hat is the traditional men's summertime, hot-weather hat. I've been thinking of buying one. Or at least some style of straw hat. I really don't have any summer hats. All my hats are heavier rabbit/beaver-felts which are really winter/autumn hats. They make me sweat buckets in the middle of an Australian summer; and Australian summers can be punishing hot.

I saw a nice boater hat for sale at a thrift-shop once, but it was too big for me. Otherwise I may have bought it. How does one decide if they look good in a boater...

You try it on, look in the mirror and decide for yourself mate. If you can take along a friend who's judgement you trust, so much the better! When (and if) you do wear it out and about, expect comments ranging from "I'll have a pound of pork sausages please mate!", to "That really looks great, and suits you so well!"

Go for it!

Walt

One of the Regulars
Haha! Okay that was an interesting response. I dunno. Maybe one day I will get one. I do think they're kinda neat.

In the states most people think the boater is part of a barbershop quartet costume (hence many ebay listings mention that) which I find annoying...

I wore a few of my just acquired this year boaters out this past summer (just ended in the USA) and don't recall anyone saying much though I'm sure I got a few stares--as I don't care I didn't pay attention. Were I to receive a stupid comment though (and especially if it sounded like an insult) I would gladly point out their stupidity, but so far I haven't needed to.

I look forward to wearing them again next year. I still need to get the seer sucker suit to wear with it.

I say wear what you like mate.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael