Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

Levallois

Practically Family
I finally got myself a boater/skimmer. Made by Brodt's in Washington DC. I did a little research on Brodt's and they were at the address on my hat starting in 1933. It has a mesh covering the inside of the hat that you can't really see in the photos. I've never seen that before? It also has a price tag inside for $5.00 - is there anyway to date the hat based on the price?

Thanks for looking!

5017_1_sbl.jpg

51d7_1_sbl.jpg

munchausen

One of the Regulars
I picked up a Knox skimmer off eBay recently. It's in reasonable condition, some of the edge has had small nicks taken out. I tried turning the leather sweat inside out and it started tearing like paper... which should make the hat easier to stretch. :rolleyes:

These hats remind me of Gordon McRae in On Moonlight Bay or By the Light of the Silvery Moon (can't remember which one he wore one in) that I watched as a kid.

3899418935_c69ce8a2b0_m.jpg

3899418031_6afd91e6b6_m.jpg

Now I need a seersucker suit and some bow ties.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Nick D said:
Those are both nice hats. I really like the proportions on the Knox.

Yes, I agree. The difference in proportions between these two hats is quite striking, the Knox with a narrow brim and high crown, and the Brodt's with a lower crown and wider brim. Are these different profiles associated with different periods in fashion history, as it is with fedoras?

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, that Archer may be the coolest boater and the most impressive
period ribbon and liner fabric I've ever seen. Congrats on that find!

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
my boater , and first try at posting a pic

i got this Brooks Brother Mint condition never worn.
10p4x02_th.jpg

foqf4y.jpg

only thing was i payed 75 usd plus shipping i was afraid i over paid until i saw how bad the bidding is getting for these hats, i wish i could wear it year round but this is Michigan.
P.S. ill try the pic again when i get better at it.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Brigham-Hopkins

Picked this up because it was so different than most boaters I've seen. Dinerman has one pictured earlier in this thread that is similiar. Reminds me of the Thing from Fantastic Four....

B

hopkins_1.jpg

hopkins_2.jpg

hopkins_3.jpg

hopkins_4.jpg

hopkins_5.jpg

hopkins_6.jpg

sproily

Practically Family
Argh I'm bummed with you and all your amazing boaters..

Here's a boater I just won. It is my second one, my other one is a 20's Austin Reed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...8519875&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_956

straw.jpg

It's probably not very old, but the construction seems good. And it's in fine condition. Besides, I'm fine with a modern straw hat... as long as it is of good construction and looks good.

I'm not good at dating hats.. Can someone help? It looks to me like a 50's or 60's hat.

"Glenhurst Group of Companies" just sounds so modern...

Marc? Can you help with this one?

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
It's quite a fine piece of work, that's for sure. The perfect fit of the top piece, the rounding of the brim, the crown even seems to have a slight reverse taper. Someone put a lot of work into this. I wonder, was it simply a novelty or a prototype?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn