Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

fineknoxboater8.jpg

Alan, Some how I missed this beauty! It reminds me of my M. E. Glunz & Cie..

4718568388_20ea96e582_b.jpg

Sprinkles

One of the Regulars

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Did Cavanagh outsource their boaters to Italy and then finish them in the US with their own sweatbands? Italy seems like the number one place for summer hats so I assume most American companies had Italian suppliers.

Not originally. The C&K/Hat Corp. of America factory made their own Boaters until the mid- to late-1950s or so. After that, it seems they only imported from Italy. The hats were probably completely finished in Italy as well, as I suspect when they got rid of the braid-sewing machines, they probably got rid of whatever was needed to sew on the Bon Ton sweatbands.

The hat above is probably late-1960s or so, judging by the Cavanagh script on the sweatband. Not typical until late in HCA life.

Brad

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Just a bump because I'm curious if anyone could tell me more about this BB boater I've just picked up.

Thank you in advance!

My relatively new (to me) vintage Brooks Brothers boater. Since my style has changed from early to mid-1950s to early to mid-1930s I've had a hankering for a boater all last year.

I was lucky to find one in this nice of condition in 60/7 1/2 with the original box! I've not worn it much since its our winter/rainy season at the moment. But next Friday is opera night so I might try by best to channel Maurice Chevalier and wear it with my black tie rig!

Do you boater faction-istas have any idea on the age? My hunch is that it is not that old (1960s or more recent perhaps?)

Also the box edge is torn about half way on the bottom, any hints on repairing it other than be busting out my scotch tape? :confused: Thanks!

405602714.jpg

405602715.jpg

405602716.jpg

405602717.jpg

405602718.jpg

405602713.jpg

Big_e

Practically Family
This thread makes me miss my boater. It's still not warm enough for me to break it out. I'm still wearing my wool caps and felt hats!

Sprinkles

One of the Regulars
Here is my new boater! Also posted in New Hats thread, but thought I would ask questions here. Has anyone heard of this company "Hillcrest" ? It is of really great quality and obviously old. When do you think this dates to 40s-50s? The sweatband is a tad crispy so it may need a new one, will see how it stands up to first use this summer. The mesh is also kind of crispy. Anyway, it has a deep blue ribbon with a red stripe. Perhaps it is just faded black but if that's the case, the fading resulted in a nice blue! Has a 2.75 inch brim and 3.5 inch crown.

hillcrest1.jpg

hillcrest2.jpg

Sprinkles

One of the Regulars
Well crispy in the sense of dried out :p
The straw itself is supposed to be like that so it is very nice!

job

One Too Many
A new Boater for me. A Pante Rialto Venice from Italy. I can"t find much on them and I don't know how old it is. It has a floating leather sweat band. It will get a lot of head time this summer.

boaterhat001_zpse46d1f0c.jpg

boaterhat002_zps02765111.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy