Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boating Blazers

Boodles

A-List Customer
Very nice Boating Blazer

Nice colors, including the lining. I was not aware that Bookster offered these.

Methuselah said:
I just got this via Bookster on eBay:

I'm very pleased with it, and they were kind enough to include some spare fabric so that I can attempt to construct some kind of matching pugarree for my summer hat.

billyspew

One Too Many
Charles Tyrwhitt also has this one now:

Bookster also has shots of one of theirs:
NAVY%20RED%20WHITE%20BLAZER%203_jpg.jpg

A Suit That Fits also has some boating blazer materials:
2010-03-31-15-37-Claire-16.jpg

billyspew

One Too Many
Charlie Huang said:
How much then? (not that I can afford another jacket right now...)

Oh, one of my friends has the CT one:

For what's pictured, about £205, sorely tempted, but might pop to Jermyn street to try the CT one for size.

I wondered whether someone in the NSC might have one. It's nice to see it on someone and does look great.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Boodles said:
Nice colors, including the lining. I was not aware that Bookster offered these.

As well as making their own garments Bookster also sell second-hand, sorry vintage, items on Ebay so any manner of odd item may turn up.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
billyspew said:
For what's pictured, about £205, sorely tempted, but might pop to Jermyn street to try the CT one for size.

I wondered whether someone in the NSC might have one. It's nice to see it on someone and does look great.

The fabric feels cottony. I think this was last season and I'm not sure they have any left...

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
AntonAAK said:
As well as making their own garments Bookster also sell second-hand, sorry vintage, items on Ebay so any manner of odd item may turn up.

Yes, I've bought some 2nd hand suits from them before. This is my first thing made by them I've had. I just felt like one of those 'it was meant to be' things - I'd been looking out for blazers for a while, they had one listed on Ebay as a slight second with the exact same dimensions as my favourite jacket. I'm on a limited budget, this is the most expensive item of clothing I've ever bought. The girlfriend thinks I've gone a bit mad in the sun [huh]

EDIT: here's a link to the other images:
http://img.inkfrog.com/click_enlarge1.php?image=balin.jpg&username=bookster1uk&aid=485018006

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Methuselah said:
Yes, I've bought some 2nd hand suits from them before. This is my first thing made by them I've had. I just felt like one of those 'it was meant to be' things - I'd been looking out for blazers for a while, they had one listed on Ebay as a slight second with the exact same dimensions as my favourite jacket. I'm on a limited budget, this is the most expensive item of clothing I've ever bought. The girlfriend thinks I've gone a bit mad in the sun [huh]

EDIT: here's a link to the other images:
http://img.inkfrog.com/click_enlarge1.php?image=balin.jpg&username=bookster1uk&aid=485018006

It is a very nice blazer. Let's hope the sun comes back and you get plenty of opportunity to wear it.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Just purchased this from a local vintage clothing shop.
174505.jpg

I had to move the buttons outwards by about an inch and a half because it was too large otherwise. The wider button stance also gives it a more classic look I think. I still need to shorten the sleeves and if I find the money have the waist taken in.

I'm not sure if it's an actual boating blazer but it has the bold stripes. As far as age goes I only know it was made between 1948 and 1990 as it was made in West Germany. My uneducated guess is around 1960 due to the relatively narrow lapels for a DB jacket and the mohair content which I believe was common on high end garments in the 60s.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
billyspew said:
Bookster also has shots of one of theirs:
NAVY%20RED%20WHITE%20BLAZER%203_jpg.jpg
Last week on Antiques Roadshow, Nicholas Lowry - the vintage-poster man with the plummy speech and the lapel-vested tweeds - turned up in this very jacket, an open wing-collared shirt with undone french cuffs, blue jeans, and brown suede saddle shoes. He looked like - there's no other way to put it - a trad victim. lol

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The black orange and white one is rather nice. I have this one:

IMG_3605_zps605ee9bb.jpg

I never wear it. It just isn't me (and it's a touch too small).

Edward

Bartender
Bookster won't be making any more of their boating blazers - they filed for bankruptcy recently, I gather. Quite a lot of buzz about it round this way.

None of mine are actually vintage, but fwiw...

Charles Tyrwhitt, cotton/wool mix, 2010:

304243_10150273896067547_7869282_n.jpg

Unbranded, eBay, cotton/wool mix, 2011:

29802_10151058888067260_88081936_n.jpg

Current standard uniform blazer, Carrickfergus Grammar School. Much nicer than the one tha was in use when I left twenty years ago. Bought new this year. I love it:

1009776_10151752212961278_831752992_n.jpg

Not strictly a boating blazer (though Carrick is a coastal tow with a yachting marina), but I'd argue well in the same stylistic vein.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy