Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bogart's Maltese Falcon Fedora

job

One Too Many
I was looking at some old threads and I found this one. It made me curious about the hat. Does anyone know about this hat. I wonder if it is in someones collection. What would be it's average worth.
images27.jpg
images26-1.jpg
images26bogart-1.jpg

Last edited:

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I've got a Knox 25 from about that era ... gray with black ribbon, guild edge on the brim and though I have mine creased a little differently it could be the same hat.

What would be its average worth?

That is a question.

If it's a run of the mill Knox 25 in good condition, you're either real lucky (I was) or you pay a good deal, judging from the ebay accounts.

Or you have a new one custom-made ... again, pricey

Or you are considering what the exact hat in these pictures is worth.
The very hat that was used in the film

Now you are really talking big bucks.

Anyone want to guess what it would be worth, if you could have this fedora, in this condition, with documentation that it is the very hat that was worn in this scene?

It would probably be one of the more expensive hats out there, I would think

Sam

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Sarge,
I don't know what it would be but the current auction of Duke-associated hats ... if you read carefully, you see that many were not actually worn BY him .... has price estimates of $10,000 to $30,000 and those seem to usually be low these days.

There's probably some fat cat out there who wants to pay $30,000 for a Duke Wayne cowboy hat to wear while he sips imported hummingbird nectar in his Egyptian-cotton shorts and silk shirt on the back of his yacht, tooling around Manhattan Island ... or something like that.

Anyway ... the Bogey hat would be at least that valuable.

I'll stick with my Knox. It's close enough

Sam

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Sarge,
I don't know what it would be but the current auction of Duke-associated hats ... if you read carefully, you see that many were not actually worn BY him .... has price estimates of $10,000 to $30,000 and those seem to usually be low these days.

There's probably some fat cat out there who wants to pay $30,000 for a Duke Wayne cowboy hat to wear while he sips imported hummingbird nectar in his Egyptian-cotton shorts and silk shirt on the back of his yacht, tooling around Manhattan Island ... or something like that.

Anyway ... the Bogey hat would be at least that valuable.

I'll stick with my Knox. It's close enough

Sam

Sounds good. Why pay 30K for a hat that's just going to blow off and disappear at the first breeze? I like the look. Maybe I'll have to see what I can start off with and get to about the same point.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
My avatar has my VS "Dingus." I asked Art Fawcett to replicate a Maltese Falcon fedora but with different colored felt. Of course, this will set you back a little but it's a custom and Art's work is well worth it.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Sounds good. Why pay 30K for a hat that's just going to blow off and disappear at the first breeze? I like the look. Maybe I'll have to see what I can start off with and get to about the same point.

I'm just guessing, mind you ... but I would presume that if you pay $30,000 for a hat you don't plan to wear it ... at least not outside the house.

Just guessing.

Sam

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I'm just guessing, mind you ... but I would presume that if you pay $30,000 for a hat you don't plan to wear it ... at least not outside the house.

Just guessing.

Sam

If you could AFFORD $30,00.00 for a hat, you don't worry about loosing it, ya just get another :) Folks like that live in a DIFFERENT world from us folks :)

job

One Too Many
Alan, I've seen some of your hats. You may own thirty thousand dollars worth of hats. If not now, eventually.

T Rick

Practically Family
Lol... Funny twists to a reborn ancient thread (debuted in 2003 with not replies!).

I'd guess if Bogey's actual film worn hat were documented and in great condition, it'd bring minimum a quarter million dollars, and wouldn't be surprised if it went far far higher (perhaps even 7 figures). And even then, I'd bet whoever bought it might wear it out, at least once or twice, just because they could.

Is it a known item as to what model or even brand the hat was? The film being from 1941, I'd guess the hat was either new or near new. Perhaps the best way to recreate the look would indeed be custom. From the above photos (are they screen shots from that movie?), it looks to have an over welt brim edge.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred