Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bogie hat??

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Does anyone out there know who makes Bogie style hats? I like the old style with no taper.

:) :)

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Of all the gin joints?

Looks like you came to the right place!! Im new myself and learned of the Akubra Federation from this joint. It might be what your looking for if you like a darker color. Im sure you will have a lot of recommendations. Ebay is an excellent source for vintage hats. Get ready for some excellent advice!!!

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Bogie fedoras

I am already into Eb*y and have several hats I bought there. Most are old wool felt with no particular distinguishing style or character. However, I did get a Borsalino/Peters Brothers Indy Custom that is a great hat!!

:cheers1: No Bogies so far as I can tell...

jeboat

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
I've recommended this before for Bogie fans: Golden Gate makes a style called "Chicago" that has a perfectly straight crown, and a brim on the narrow side, like Bogie wore in the 40s. If all you want is a Bogie look, circa "Casablanca," "The Maltese Falcon" and "The Big Sleep," this works fine. Now, here's the bad news: this is NOT a high quality hat. It's cheap waterproofed wool with an acceptable, but by no means exceptional, block. The good news: They're cheap and plentiful; about $40 bucks at most Web hat sites. The also come in a wide variety of colors (though the grey and the tan are the best). More good news: They are EXTREMELY comfortable. You could sleep in them. More bad news: while they look pretty good when new, they tend to age into "MacArthur Park" hats: after a while, they look like someone left a cake out in the rain. But, honestly, they're the closest match to the kind of hat Bogie wore in the 40s than anything else I've seen, which tend to be too tapered in the crown and too wide in the brim. (Though, as I've frequently said here, $25-dollar-a-day-plus-expenses wartime gumshoes didn't have the coin to spend on top-of-the-line hats.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot