Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bond Hats? (No,not 007)

HatMagnet

Familiar Face
I won this hat on ebay and just received it today. I'm very happy with it since it fits like it was made for me and its very soft and light but I can't find any information on the Bond company via google. Does anyone have any information on these? When and where they were made etc. etc.? [huh]

Bondside.jpg

bondfront.jpg

bondliner.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
That looks about '55-'59 to me, from the texture of the sweatband and hat's styling.

I think Bond was a store? I've owned two of their hats, decent midrange offering, better than most production hats today.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
Hey I just got a similar one

I recently found my grandfathers hat and it was a 'Bond' but not nearly as in good condition as the one posted above.

I am looking to get mine repaired ... as I posted on the bottom of this thread, so does anyone know of any reputable shops in the NYC area, I looked online & found Worth & Worth, does anybody know of them or used their services before?

Sorry to be a nuisance.

Wil

Ahhh, "progress". I live in the city of the glass monstrosity. So many of our great buildings are being torn down it's not even funny. 1, New Change; next to St. Paul's. One of the greatest pieces of architecture from mid century UK. Not even 50 years old, torn down and will soon be yet another of the central London lifeless glass abominations, adding nothing to the general feel of the locale. 1 New Change was a very serious piece of real estate, perfectly blended with the grandeur of St. Paul's and the historic importance of nearby Watling Street environs. Sadly under the last Mayor we took a rather more American attitude to our architectural heritage - rip it down and build something big!!, no matter how vulgar - and it doesn't look like it'll change with the new administration.

Anyway. Bond hats good.

bk

barrowjh

One Too Many
One of my nicest brown hats is a Bond, dark chocolate brown with 2 1/2 in brim, felted edge, and the sweatband states it is a beaver and hare blend. Really nice felt. I consider it top-shelf, there are none better in my 'rotation.' I consider it a winter-weight felt so I have not broken it out yet for this year, trying to get some wear out of my light-weight fedoras right now. It came with the original dark green oval box. Here is a pic of my 4 'top-shelf' hats and you can see the Bond on the far right. I also edited the above when I looked at the pic and realized the box was dark green, not light pale green (musta got it confused in my mind with a Marathon hat box?). None of these 4 hats had the clear plastic liner in the crown, so I suspect that all were around the late 40's or early 50's time period, but will admit that I am just guessing.
062908009.jpg

jpbales

Practically Family
Nice hat!

I have a Bond and it's certainly the best hat in my rotation as well (but I don't have that many hats, and most of them aren't really that nice nor vintage). It's an executive like mannySpaghetti's, but in black. Here's a forum with all the information I could gather about Bond- there's some decent links.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wil Tam said:

----------------
Nope, not even close. Your first reference said they were in the northeast. This building was in Houston if you check out the web site further.

Also, there have been several posts in the hat section saying get a hat repaired and refurbished leads to catastrophy using anyone in NY, and that the best place to send a treasured hat is Optimo in Chicago.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
easy there fella!

Mike in Seattle said:
----------------
Nope, not even close. Your first reference said they were in the northeast. This building was in Houston if you check out the web site further.

Also, there have been several posts in the hat section saying get a hat repaired and refurbished leads to catastrophy using anyone in NY, and that the best place to send a treasured hat is Optimo in Chicago.

I'm sorry but I said that 'this may be the department store'... I was curious so I decided to check into it some more, according to Wiki Bond Clothiers had stores coast to coast at one point, so it is possible that there was one in Texas...

All I wanted was a little advice on where to get my grandfathers' hat repaired so I Googled 'hat repair/NYC' and it brought me to this forum, it took a little while to get activated... also I did not know that there were a plethora of threads concerning hat repair in NYC... I'm still new here.

I did send my hat to Optimo this morning though... thanks for the push!

I will bring a non treasured hat that needs repair over to Worth & Worth just to see if they are any good, and I'll report back... they've been around since 1922, so someone there gotta have some skills!

I'll even do before and after pictures.

----------------
Now playing: Dusty Springfield - Son of a Preacher Man
via FoxyTunes

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Get to bump an old thread. Guess Bond is fairly rare, couldn't find out much about them but believe I read here somewhere they were made by Hat Corporation of America (thanks for the correction Jim). I could not find the thread here but I believe it was also about Bond hats and fairly short too. Anyway, very nice quality hat, guessing 1950-60's. Really light weight with a thin sweat, probably why it's called the "Whisp". I normally don't care for contrasting bound brim/ribbons but this bound edge is fairly subtle and the hat actually fit me perfectly which rarely happens in my vintage searches. I got this from Che (seabass) who got it from Roberto of City Vintage. It's a nice survivor that's been out of circulation for some time but not any more.

Last edited:
Probably Hat Corporation of America rather than Hatco.

I've only had one in my hands; it was a 60s vintage and not up to the snuff the older ones seem to be.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

RJR

Get to bump an old thread. Guess Bond is fairly rare, couldn't find out much about them but believe I read here somewhere they were made by HATCO. I could not find the thread here but I believe it was also about Bond hats and fairly short too. Anyway, very nice quality hat, guessing 1950-60's. Really light weight with a thin sweat, probably why it's called the "Whisp". I normally don't care for contrasting bound brim/ribbons but this bound edge is fairly subtle and the hat actually fit me perfectly which rarely happens in my vintage searches. I got this from Che (seabass) who got it from Roberto of City Vintage. It's a nice survivor that's been out of circulation for some time but not any more.

Nice looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred