Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boop boop be doop.

lindylady

A-List Customer
I found those cartoons on dvd at Dollar Tree. It was so enjoyable to watch them all over again. I hadn't seen them since childhood, just before the decision was made to pull vintage cartoons from television because they were too "violent". As if today's racy and cynical cartoons are any better :rolleyes:

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I absolutely love them (the Betty Boop toons). They're so original and surreal, and who couldn't love the original cartoon flapper? The best one ever has to be Snow White, if only just for Calloway's rendition of Saint James Infirmary and the creepy images that pass by as the rotoscoped ghost dances and sings. Just wonderful.

You can download them for free at http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=Betty Boop AND mediatype:movies

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It's nice to see that folks are still discovering these magnificent and astonishingly strange little masterworks. Me, I began acquiring them on 16mm film back around 1972 - my *gorgeous* print of "Snow White" remains one of the jewels of my film collection.

Ko-Ko, Bimbo, the Screen Songs, the Talkartoons, Betty Boop, Popeye, the Color Classics, Superman, Gulliver, Mr. Bug... the Fleischers were utterly brilliant through their entire run. And their dark, dirty *urban* school of NYC-based animation reflects an endearingly *different* approach from the sunny barnyard antics of the early Disney, Warners, M-G-M and other midwestern- and West Coast-bred animators.

Seriously great stuff...

Quelquefois

New in Town
What astounds me most, though, is how each cartoon is only seven minutes long and yet is incredibly captivating and stimulating regarding the plot and visuals.

Nowadays cartoons just resort to extravagant measures just to get a smile and a joke across.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bimbo

One of my three pugs, Mr. Wong, loves to watch tv and movies and gets escpecially excited when an animal is on the screen. He likes cartoon, puppet or live animals! He loved Bimbo!! He couldn't wait for him to appear again! I have heard that Betty Boop started out as a little doggie, and her long ears evolved into the earrings on a girl. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw