Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boot recommendations wanted

Doublegun

Practically Family
I am looking for a pair of roper style boots that will be good for general, everyday wear. I have cowboy boots, harness boots and umpteen pair of hunting boots and work boots, what I am looking for is something like the Fry Marco Roper ( http://www.zappos.com/frye-marco-roper-dark-brown): classic simple lines, reminiscent of the 70's. My concern with Frye is they are long on form but come up short on substance. I don't want a pair of boots that I have to worry bout where I wear them and/or what I step in (I have serious boots for serious crap). Suggestions?

Thanks,

JDG

I mainly wear Ariats. I have Justins, Tony Lamas, Rios of Mercedes, & Luccheses...I had a pair of Fryes years ago & they were some nice boots.
I don't consider what I have seen lately from Frye in the same category. I will only buy the USA made Justins.
All of the Ariats I have & really like are their old Hexcel Pro Roper line which they discontinued. I have a couple of pair of their Heritage line. HATE the Cobalt = instep feels weird to my foot.

bulldog1935

Suspended
here are my Justin doeskins - I had a pair for nearly 20 years and 4 re-soles and recently replaced them. They are cozy and do not mar.
aPA070002.jpg

feet are very different. I can't wear Ariats.
I have a pair of Tony Lama pro ropers also, but the style is not for everyone.
aP1020001_zpsd533beec.jpg

Last edited:

Doublegun

Practically Family
Thanks, fellows. The Justin "Apache" looks pretty similar to the Frye (which I agree, does not make boots like they used to). I'd like to find something similar in a Rio but so far, no luck.

Thanks, fellows. The Justin "Apache" looks pretty similar to the Frye (which I agree, does not make boots like they used to). I'd like to find something similar in a Rio but so far, no luck.

I have 3 pair of Justin Apache Ropers = 1 regular Roper & 2 are limited edition Tall Top Ropers. These are ropers with regular cowboy boot shafts instead of the shorter roper shafts. They also have stitching on the toe but the bottom of the boot is all roper. When I found a stock of them, I bought 4 pair = 2 Apache, 1 black & 1 russet, about wore out the black & russet pairs. Resoled 1 Apache to rubber work boot sole.
The Apache are tough wearing & look better with age to me.

Doublegun

Practically Family
gtdean48, that's what I figured: Justin, Ariat and Lama have always made "real" boots for real work and like most items made that way, age and use bestow character and credibility. I really like my Luccheses and I wish that I could justify a pair of Rios of Mercedes but I'm not going to wear a $300 pair of cowboy boots where they could get trashed by mud or other substances.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Just stumbled upon the Redwing 1155 Pacos. Looks like the real deal and I am a fan of Redwings. Anyone have a pair?

DougC

Practically Family
The Pecos is a great work boot. The sole won't stain or pick up petroleum products. I've had a pair for roughly 7 years and they look pretty good. The Redwing store in town will reapply oilfor free while you wait. Very comforatble.

Edit--they aren't ropers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy