Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

born 150 years too late

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/03/garden/03tintype.html

Not only does this photographer work in an 1860's style, he lives it.

tintype.190.126.jpg

tin.450.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
"Asked why subjects in 19th-century photos rarely smiled, he says it is because they were dignified; it is only in recent times that people “feel they have to show their teeth like a used-car salesman.”

Plenty of aristocrats smile out from 18th century portraits. The painters added the smiles on; I doubt that the sitters themselves were actually grinning.

The real reason why folks didn't smile in 19th century photos was that the posers had to sit (or stand) in place for a long time. There were nasty chemical smells around, too. It was hardly a fun experience. That, and the fact that many folks had bad teeth (or none to smile with).

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
One nice thing about getting older is that people tend to quit telling you what to do, as in, "Smile!" I got sick of hearing that.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Showing teeth is an entirely American thing, and I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't like that even in the US before the Golden Era.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Everyone in Ireland used to have bad teeth, now we're as orthodontically switched on as the Americans!

Braces and retainers are a relatvely new phenomenon here!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

:p

lol lol lol

Marc Chevalier said:
The real reasons why folks didn't smile in 19th century photos are that the posers had to sit (or stand) in place for a long time. There were nasty chemical smells around, too. It was hardly a fun experience. That, and the fact that many folks had bad teeth (or none to smile with).

Put succinctly, no one can fake sincerity that long. :D

FedoraGent

One Too Many
The whole idea that the people didn't smile because they wanted to seem dignified seems like a pretty good idea...but did anyone possibly consider that they were just miserable? Either that or they just didn't want to smile?

Naama

Practically Family
Maybe you'll also be interested in the work of McGough and McDermott, they do quite the same, they also live like in the 18th century

mcdandmcg.jpg
saul_mcd.jpg
but they also do paintings and installations, often with a "little" homoerotic touch, maybe not for everyone on the lounge(?)

Naama

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Naama said:
Maybe you'll also be interested in the work of McGough and McDermott, they do quite the same, they also live like in the 18th century

but they also do paintings and installations, often with a "little" homoerotic touch, maybe not for everyone on the lounge(?)

Naama

hhaha, aint nothing wrong with homoeroticism! at least, not to me.

i think its fascinating when people completely change their lives to live as if they were in the past. i know i fantasize a lot about living in a different era, but i dont think i could ever do something like that man. it reminds me of the PBS show "frontier house", i would kill to be on a show like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace