Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino Bankrupt?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Yes, Stetson is right. Too bad. I bought a new Stetson a couple of years ago, and while it's all right for a little over a hundred bucks, it's a far cry from some of my vintage hats. Also stiff. At the same time, I bought a panama from them and it was not only stiff, but began to come apart at the tip of the crown (and no I don't handle hats by the crown). I ended up taking it to the Goodwill. I'm expecting an Akubra Stylemaster tomorrow and have hope. I've heard good things about akubra. Also I picked up a roughout leather hat from South Africa. It's a Rogue and everyone thinks it's an Ahtback hat from Australia. I like it on windy days because it's heavy and solid enough to withstand everything but a hurricane.

I have 2 Akubra Camp Drafts Imperial grade and they are both pretty stiff especially the brims. Fine with me.

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
Mayserwegener, thanks for the update. It's good to know that Borsalino has a way forward & should be able to avoid going down with the financial pecadilloes of the previous ownership.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I am puzzled by this change so sudden.
Mr. Camperio are given Borsalino turnkey and is told : Please have a seat, save us !
I hope it is yet another step in debt as a " savior " to another .... with all due respect.
Hope that everything will be resolved in the best is always the last to die :eusa_doh:

Can you dig up some info on this guy + group? Maybe they wanted to remain independent so went with the same strategy? I hope it ends up better than last time. :)

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Having just returned from Borsalino today, I can say that Mr Camperio arrived in time. We had a nice meeting yesterday and I see that he is very interested in the future of the company. It is too early to say what changes there will be ,but I hope for the best.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Molte Grazie.
I was expecting your comment from within the story.
You're certainly more qualified voice that can speak of Borsalino and its events .
Hopefully everything will be resolved for the better and that the Antica Casa di Alessndria continues to shine.

Pkyoakum

One of the Regulars
I just saw a Youtube video from Kevin (Hats and Guitar) who works at JJ Hats in NYC and he said the owner is selling again Borsalino hats and that the quality has come back after a few horrible cheap years following bankruptcy when corners were being cut. Anyone else hear of this?

I just saw a Youtube video from Kevin (Hats and Guitar) who works at JJ Hats in NYC and he said the owner is selling again Borsalino hats and that the quality has come back after a few horrible cheap years following bankruptcy when corners were being cut. Anyone else hear of this?

What is the date of the video? It could be an older one ...not current.

Pkyoakum

One of the Regulars
The video indicates it was uploaded one month ago. A year ago Kevin was lamenting the poor quality after bankruptcy and how cost cutting weakened the quality and how JJ Hats stopped carrying Borsalinos. But this last video dated a month ago he said the owner is pleased with the quality now and they are up to the standard where they will start again to carry them in their store.

The video indicates it was uploaded one month ago. A year ago Kevin was lamenting the poor quality after bankruptcy and how cost cutting weakened the quality and how JJ Hats stopped carrying Borsalinos. But this last video dated a month ago he said the owner is pleased with the quality now and they are up to the standard where they will start again to carry them in their store.
It is good to hear. But I think the price they want for one of them is leaning very heavily on the name, history and old reputation and the quality still does not warrant the price they ask.

dkstott

Practically Family
I'm a big fan of Kevin and his YouTube channel.

But he's a salesman at heart. Avaliablilty plays a big role in his likes and dislikes.

I'm not sure if Borsalino is really improved or they're available to JJ hats.

Kevin has recently pointed out QC issues in Stetson and is pushing Selentino as the greatest thing on earth.

The reality is that Stetson isn't shipping much to distributors and selling direct from their website. But JJ hats is getting Selentino in large quantities

So, is Borsalino & Selentino really good or are they just what JJ hats can get in stock right now.

Pkyoakum

One of the Regulars
That is a possible scenario. But nearly every hat Kevin owns is a Borsalino. But he always says only get the superiore models and cautions the others are of inferior quality. Regarding the latest Borsalinos, he says he is going by the word of his owner who did not carry them for a long while but is now stocking them because she is satisfied with the quality improvement. I still would like to know more professional opinions on Borsalinos being made today.

Is there a way when looking at a Borsalino for sale that is obviously not vintage if it was made prior to bankruptcy?

I can’t answer your question, but Borsalino was not making their best hats leading up to their bankruptcy. It’s not as though they were churning out their best until they went bankrupt. Borsalino made a great hat long after the likes of Stetson and Dobbs et al fell off a cliff, but Borsalino quality was also in decline leading up to bankruptcy.

I also have or had over twenty Selentino hats…the higher end models are nice and they offer some great finishes and a large palette of colors. However, they have never impressed me as being great quality hats. If a company is praising Selentino then…?

My bigger issue is the value proposition. For the cost of a new Borsalino, even when it’s on sale, I can buy a custom hat that will be blocked more to my liking, have the dimensions I prefer, have a better sweatband, and have vastly superior felt. I keep looking at new factory hats, but I just can’t get myself to buy them anymore.

Pkyoakum

One of the Regulars
Deadlyhandsome, thanks. What would you suggest for a newbie in vintage hat collecting what to look for in purchasing vintage fedoras? What hat companies has a superior product, which were on the lower end? Cheers.

That is a possible scenario. But nearly every hat Kevin owns is a Borsalino. But he always says only get the superiore models and cautions the others are of inferior quality. Regarding the latest Borsalinos, he says he is going by the word of his owner who did not carry them for a long while but is now stocking them because she is satisfied with the quality improvement. I still would like to know more professional opinions on Borsalinos being made today.
I love my vintage Borsalinos.....owning 4 of them made in the 1950's. They are the treasures of my collection. I paid from $150 to $250 for them in size 59cm/7 3/8". The last time I inspected a modern Borsa was about 7 years ago in a Seattle hat shop and for the asking price I was appalled at the inconsistent quality. The felt itself was decent but the craftmanship in the making was terrible. I forget the price point but it was high enough to shock me out of considering ever buying a modern Borsa when I can pick up a vintage from the era of Borsa greatness in mint condition in a very popular size for a max of $250. And if I was gifted with a smaller head the choice is broader and the price lower.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles