Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino "Colombo"

Joseph Casazza

New in Town
I thought I would post here the results of some correspondence I had recently, with the help of Riccardo, who also posts here from time to time, I believe, regarding a recently acquired Boraslino "Colombo" hat, the one with the picture of the sailing ship in the lining of the crown. I first tried writing to Borsalino, but never got a response. I blame my Italian, but perhaps they are not really interested in pursuing the history of their old hats - they have to make a living off of the new ones, after all. I have usually gotten very kind and rapid responses from Italians with whom I have done business. Anyway, Riccardo had me write to Cappelleria Melegari in Milan, and here is what Signor Sergio Anzani says (my translation follows):

Mio padre , oggi memoria storica della nostra attivit?ɬ†, mi conferma che il modello Colombo, venne prodotto all'incirca dagli anni '30 sino al dopoguerra, anni '50. Si tratta con buona probabilit?ɬ† di un feltro di velour abbastanza leggero, noi ne possediamo uno nella collezione di famiglia degli anni 30/40, ala 6 cm, sfoderato con un piccolo fondello con il disegno a colori e la scritta Colombo. Per stabilire con maggiore precisione il periodo storico sarebbe necessario vederlo in quanto ?ɬ® anche da altre caratteristiche che si pu?ɬ? datare un cappello...

My father, today the historical memory of our business, confirms to me that the model "Colombo" was made about from the 30's until after the war, the 50's. It is with good probablity of a rather light velour felt; we have one in our family collection from the 30's/40's , brim 6 cm. (2 3/8 in.) unlined, with a small background with a color drawing and the inscription "Colombo". To establish the historical period with greater accuracy it would be necessary to see it, inasmuchas there are other characteristics also by which a hat can be dated...

My hat is lined, with a slightly wider brim (c. 6.3-6.5 cm.), and I believe it is from the 1950's rather than the 30's/40's.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Re Columbo

Joseph ,the "columbo" trademark from Borsalino has been around for many years. They started to use it for their hats in the 1930's . Today ,it is used for their pesca line of hats . These are suede finish hats that are ment for the USA market .

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Here's a couple of pics of my "Colombo" for your comparison:

Outside of hat

Inside of hat

The sailing ship and "Colombo" name doesn't show up as well under that film in the top of the hat.

On the paper tag under the sweat it reads" 3 A982 Narvalo 29976."

It's a nice hat, lightweight with a good velour finish.

Brad

riccardo

Practically Family
Hi to all, hi to you Joseph,
I'm very embarassed...some day ago i post a mail to another important italian hatter, I asked them some information about one hat of mine.
I asked them if my hat's felt is by wool or fur. They answered me (gently) to see on their site.
I think it isn't a good answer, I think that some Italian hatter aren't good.
Mr. Sergio Anzani is, how we say in Italy, "a white fly" (una mosca bianca)...a very rare person.He is a great person...in future I'll buy anything from him.
Remember in Milan...www.cappelleriamelegari.com

Best regards.

Joseph Casazza said:
I thought I would post here the results of some correspondence I had recently, with the help of Riccardo, who also posts here from time to time, I believe, regarding a recently acquired Boraslino "Colombo" hat, the one with the picture of the sailing ship in the lining of the crown. I first tried writing to Borsalino, but never got a response. I blame my Italian, but perhaps they are not really interested in pursuing the history of their old hats - they have to make a living off of the new ones, after all. I have usually gotten very kind and rapid responses from Italians with whom I have done business. Anyway, Riccardo had me write to Cappelleria Melegari in Milan, and here is what Signor Sergio Anzani says (my translation follows):

Mio padre , oggi memoria storica della nostra attivit?ɬ†, mi conferma che il modello Colombo, venne prodotto all'incirca dagli anni '30 sino al dopoguerra, anni '50. Si tratta con buona probabilit?ɬ† di un feltro di velour abbastanza leggero, noi ne possediamo uno nella collezione di famiglia degli anni 30/40, ala 6 cm, sfoderato con un piccolo fondello con il disegno a colori e la scritta Colombo. Per stabilire con maggiore precisione il periodo storico sarebbe necessario vederlo in quanto ?ɬ® anche da altre caratteristiche che si pu?ɬ? datare un cappello...

My father, today the historical memory of our business, confirms to me that the model "Colombo" was made about from the 30's until after the war, the 50's. It is with good probablity of a rather light velour felt; we have one in our family collection from the 30's/40's , brim 6 cm. (2 3/8 in.) unlined, with a small background with a color drawing and the inscription "Colombo". To establish the historical period with greater accuracy it would be necessary to see it, inasmuchas there are other characteristics also by which a hat can be dated...

My hat is lined, with a slightly wider brim (c. 6.3-6.5 cm.), and I believe it is from the 1950's rather than the 30's/40's.

Christopher Smith

New in Town
Greetings everyone! Can anyone help me figure out if this is a vintage "Colombo" or a more recent model? I just bought it from Poshmark which I don't normally buy from. Also, the person selling it seemed to not really know the item. They spelled it Barsalino, with an A, and listed the company as Barsalino Paris, which I believe is because it mentions Paris Grand Prix on the interior sweatband. Also, they listed it as a vintage woman's wool hat. From my understanding the 2 X's that are visible in the front of the sweatband indicate that it is fur. Any help on dating this hat or at least figuring out an estimate would really be great.

Attachments

• m_5ea4c2ce12d88045b1af5f80.jpg
    m_5ea4c2ce12d88045b1af5f80.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 150
  • m_5ea4c2d6045e397b6148af89.jpg
    m_5ea4c2d6045e397b6148af89.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 126
  • m_5ea4c2e7bcdb2fc3e56dfa30.jpg
    m_5ea4c2e7bcdb2fc3e56dfa30.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 135
  • m_5ea4c2f109d760228065ed4b.jpg
    m_5ea4c2f109d760228065ed4b.jpg