Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino Question for the experts

VintageWriting

New in Town
From my limited knowledge, the hat seems roughly period correct (tall sweatband, ventilated front, etc.), but the auction house was not sticking its neck out. I would have thought Bogey had a bigger head than a size 7, but I see posters on this site saying that was indeed his size, so -- oops. I have no way of evaluating the Warner Bros. label, and the name itself seems to have been reinforced or altered. But $1200 plus the buyer's premium, even with the outrageous shipping you'd have to pay, doesn't seem like a terrible price for a gamble that this might be a truly iconic hat.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/166666872_a-borsalino-fedora-with-h-bogart-warner-bros-label

From my limited knowledge, the hat seems roughly period correct (tall sweatband, ventilated front, etc.), but the auction house was not sticking its neck out. I would have thought Bogey had a bigger head than a size 7, but I see posters on this site saying that was indeed his size, so -- oops. I have no way of evaluating the Warner Bros. label, and the name itself seems to have been reinforced or altered. But $1200 plus the buyer's premium, even with the outrageous shipping you'd have to pay, doesn't seem like a terrible price for a gamble that this might be a truly iconic hat.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/166666872_a-borsalino-fedora-with-h-bogart-warner-bros-label
I guess it would depend on whether you were a memorabilia collector. To pay that amount would mean to me putting it in a glass case on display not on my head out in the weather. To buy hats that I would wear that kind of money would pay for a multitude of vintage Borsalinos that I would actually wear.

VintageWriting

New in Town
You'd feel constrained not to wear it. Good point. I can definitely understand that.

But a nice '40s Borsalino is already pretty expensive, and the Warner Brothers label has got to goose the value up quite a bit, even if the hat did not belong to one of the MOST FAMOUS MOVIE STARS OF ALL TIME, whose fame actually derives partly from his wearing HATS JUST LIKE THIS.

I'm constantly scrolling for good Borsalinos and so am surprised it didn't go higher. Nice ones of a good era in good condition go for a lot.

For me, what kept me back was the size. My dad wears a size 7, so I have a nostalgic association with that number, but it also reminds me of the headaches I used to get before I realized it wasn't hat wearing that was the problem, it was hats that were too small. If it were a 7.25LO it would have been a sweet temptation.

You'd feel constrained not to wear it. Good point. I can definitely understand that.

But a nice '40s Borsalino is already pretty expensive, and the Warner Brothers label has got to goose the value up quite a bit, even if the hat did not belong to one of the MOST FAMOUS MOVIE STARS OF ALL TIME, whose fame actually derives partly from his wearing HATS JUST LIKE THIS.

I'm constantly scrolling for good Borsalinos and so am surprised it didn't go higher. Nice ones of a good era in good condition go for a lot.

For me, what kept me back was the size. My dad wears a size 7, so I have a nostalgic association with that number, but it also reminds me of the headaches I used to get before I realized it wasn't hat wearing that was the problem, it was hats that were too small. If it were a 7.25LO it would have been a sweet temptation.
I have a number of vintage Borsalinos in a popular 7 3/8" size. My prize is a pristine one from the 1950's that I paid $250. Others, from about that era but not in pristine shape I picked up for $200 or less. Size 7 hats sell at a discount as it is not a wearable size for so many modern men. MiamiBruno on Ebay often has vintage Borsalinos for good prices and 7 1/4" come up regularly.

Miami Bruno has a 1940's Borsa homburg on right now for $225 in a 7 3/8".....but I don't need another grey one.
I have a number of vintage Borsalinos in a popular 7 3/8" size. My prize is a pristine one from the 1950's that I paid $250. Others, from about that era but not in pristine shape I picked up for $200 or less. Size 7 hats sell at a discount as it is not a wearable size for so many modern men. MiamiBruno on Ebay often has vintage Borsalinos for good prices and 7 1/4" come up regularly.

VintageWriting

New in Town
Yes, my current favorite 7 1/4 Borsalino was about $250 also, if I remember right. Also probably '50s. I've been pounding the pavement a long time and have a few lucky finds from the '80s and '90s stacked up that I hardly wear, so don't really need any more hats. But I do like to look, especially for older hats with taller crowns and wider sweatbands. Even at modern high prices they seem to me to be a lot of quality for the money compared with anything made today. It's the same with a lot of vintage items, right?

I do see MiamiBruno's listings, and you're right, often good. Good tip.

Yes, my current favorite 7 1/4 Borsalino was about $250 also, if I remember right. Also probably '50s. I've been pounding the pavement a long time and have a few lucky finds from the '80s and '90s stacked up that I hardly wear, so don't really need any more hats. But I do like to look, especially for older hats with taller crowns and wider sweatbands. Even at modern high prices they seem to me to be a lot of quality for the money compared with anything made today. It's the same with a lot of vintage items, right?

I do see MiamiBruno's listings, and you're right, often good. Good tip.
My collection is pretty much maxed out but if I do purchase vintage it has to come from a known & trusted seller, a true hat guy that has a track record of integrity. There is too much crap out there and I am no longer willing to risk a mistake. I would rather pay an extra few bucks than risk purchasing a 'mistake' from some shady seller. My prized Borsalinos at $200-$250 rival my customs purchased at twice the price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo