Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino Trionfo Hat size upgrade question

club30s

New in Town
Hi guys

I have a question for all Borsalino lovers and especially Trionfo owners. There are a few of them here and there they show up for sale either on forum or vintage shops but never in larger sizes. So, is it possible or advisable to buy a 5 ½ punti size 22 1/2” and have them sent to Art or Optimo for reblocked and stretched to one size larger 6 or 23”?

Who is the best person for reblocking and upgrading one size for Trionfo hats? Would you recommend Art or Optimo and how much they charge for this? I guess it will involve change of hatband and sweatband also.

Please let me know your suggestion on size increase for Trionfo hats and whether they take it well or no? Plus how much size upgrade can be done without any damage to the hat?

Finally what are some of the good and bad traits of trionfo hats? I absolutely love them but have never owned it hence the question.

Thank you

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Why not call Art or Graham at Optimo and ask them?
They'd know best.

BTW, I believe the name Trionfo was applied to hats of
varying description over the years.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
That size jump sounds very possible for a qualified hatter. They will have to re-block it (replacing the sweatband and ribbon), and they will borrow a little of the brim width to grow the crown diameter.

club30s

New in Town
feltfan said:
Why not call Art or Graham at Optimo and ask them?
They'd know best.

Well they won't be able to give me a good answer till I sent them the hat and in order for that I need to buy it first. ;)

The thing is I don't want to buy the hat if people here say definitively don't stretch a vintage borsalino trionfo up 1 size for whatever reason.

It probably should not be a problem going from 22 1/2" to 23" especially if you are replacing the old hatband and sweatbands with new ones but I still want to be absolutely sure before I get one.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
As Gene says they will need to reblock it resulting in some change of proportions and quite a bit of expense as the sweatband and ribbon typically need to be replaced(no longer the originals). It won't simply "stretch". This will likely cost about $85.00 + for a renovation. Its definitely possible, you have to decide how much you like the felt.

club30s

New in Town
rlk said:
As Gene says they will need to reblock it resulting in some change of proportions and quite a bit of expense as the sweatband and ribbon typically need to be replaced(no longer the originals). It won't simply "stretch". This will likely cost about $85.00 + for a renovation.

well at Optimo his rate is $20 for hatband $20 for sweat and $40 for reblocking $10 for sizeup (per his website) plus shipping so about $90 without shipping. Anyone know how much Art usually charges for this?

Above all who is better suited for this job? that is for a vintage Borsalino Trionfo fedora (I am referring to ones with open crown)

rlk said:
you have to decide how much you like the felt.

A Lot! I have wanted one for ages but after 2-3 years of search I can safely say that my odds for finding a 6 or 6 1/2 are slim to none. I mean yeah one any given day one may show up on ebay or at a shop but I have never seen one. So its worth this size upgrade job in my estimation.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
club30s said:
Finally what are some of the good and bad traits of trionfo hats? I absolutely love them but have never owned it hence the question.

I own and enjoy several Borsalino Trionfos from the 30s and 40s. They fit fine and have not been re-sized. They aren't all the exact same hat. Mine at least are all wonderful.

Check out the Borsalino Brotherhood thread. That's one of the main areas where Borsalino lovers exchange ideas on Borsalinos in particular.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=13733&highlight=borsalino+brotherhood

club30s

New in Town

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I understand! I hope you read through the BB posts anyway. We look forward to seeing pictures of your new Trionfo when available. Welcome aboard -

club30s

New in Town
zetwal said:
I understand! I hope you read through the BB posts anyway. We look forward to seeing pictures of your new Trionfo when available. Welcome aboard -

yes of course I will do that. I will Art work on it and it will be a complete renovation as he calls it. So it will be a Very expensive Borsalino for me.

BTW if you have one of those open crown Trionfo with floppy shape please let me know how are their felts? I used to think most of them are the same but obviously not. I feel in love with them some 6 years ago when at Optimo Graham showed me his (or perhaps for a customer).

Love at first sight ;)

ptjoe

Familiar Face
Does anyone know or own a Borsalino Trionfo Giorgio V fedora.
One for sale on ebay in gray, 58cm.,Looks very nice. Seller gives no specs on it.
I will contact seller for brim size and crown height. I dont know too much about the felt quality on this model.
It doesn't say superior quality.
Just thought I ask and get some feedback.

Does anyone know or own a Borsalino Trionfo Giorgio V fedora.
One for sale on ebay in gray, 58cm.,Looks very nice. Seller gives no specs on it.
I will contact seller for brim size and crown height. I dont know too much about the felt quality on this model.
It doesn't say superior quality.
Just thought I ask and get some feedback.
Trionfo madels don't have any other quality designation. Not that those mean anything: it was up to the retailer to choose a liner and with that basically the quality designation the liner stated. There was no connection with the actual felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran