Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boswell Sisters, Andrew Sisters, Dining Sisters and what else?

subject101

One of the Regulars
I'm a big fan of female closed harmony groups from the 30s and 40s era. My favourite sets are the Boswell Sisters, Andrew Sisters and Dining Sisters but what else am I missing? (no 50s and 60s era and no male groups) :cool:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Brox Sisters -- very popular in the late twenties, progenitors of the Boswell sound.

The Pickens Sisters -- very much in the same mold as the Boswells. Jane Pickens went on to a solo career that extended into the fifties.

The Stewart Sisters -- worked for several years in the mid thirties with Rudy Vallee.

The Debutantes -- featured with Ted Fio Rito in the mid-thirties. More pop than jazz, and especially good on novelties.

The King Sisters -- featured with Horace Heidt, and later Alvino Rey, another novelty-oriented trio.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Flashes in the pan included:

Bennett Sisters - with Clyde McCoy, mid 30s (Maxine became Mrs. McCoy)
Barry Sisters - 2 groups by this name, one doing mostly Jewish music
Frazee Sisters - duet in vaudeville and film; one record with Ina Ray Hutton

Not actually sisters:

3 X Sisters - CBS act of the early 30s; one record with Isham Jones
3 Rhythm Sisters - with Ambrose Orch., mid 30s

Not even female:

Sisters of the Skillet - actually 2 fat guys; vaudeville and (late '30s) short films

Last edited:

subject101

One of the Regulars
Hey fletch, thanks for your input

Not actually sisters:

3 X Sisters - CBS act of the early 30s; one record with Isham Jones
3 Rhythm Sisters - with Ambrose Orch., mid 30s

Well, as far as I know some members of these groups were not real sisters :) I think there were a bunch of them working for the U.S.O service during wwII.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Moving a little later, the Maguire Sisters were big in the 50's. "Bum bum bum bum, Bum bum bum bum, Bum bum bum bum, Bum . . . Mister Sandmannnnnnn . . . '
And the Clooney Sisters performed for a while together before Rosemary had her solo career.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Two of the Three X's were actual sisters, and brought in a ringer to make up the trio. They were actually Broadway contemporaries of the Broxes, under the billing "The Hamilton Sisters and Fordyce." The "X" gimmick was a radio thing, along the same line as the Silver Masked Tenor, the Street Singer, and other secret-identity personalities of the time.

If actual sisterhood isn't a requirement, how about The Three Waring Girls, none of whom were any relation to Fred or Tom.

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
There's a number of contemporary acts that recreate the sound of the vintage sister acts:

Girls From Mars
The Stolen Sweets
Pfister Sisters
Sister Swing
Sweet Pepprika

Google their names for samples of their music.

Chas

One Too Many
The McKinney Sisters recorded a number of sides with Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys. The complete sides are on a cd entitled "The Tiffany Transcriptions, Vol. 10"; I'm pretty sure it's out of print but worth it when found.[video=youtube;jm7MDeMFXBc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm7MDeMFXBc[/video]

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Not to be mean (heh heh) but I saw the Maguire Sisters on one of those PBS Oldies shows recently, and they looked like Egyptian mummies that had been dug up. Cosmetic surgery gone horribly wrong. They sounded OK, tho.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
From 1947, The Raye Sisters, with Vido Musso (with a significant portion of Stan Kenton's orch):

[video=youtube;7e9wR-Ryb3s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e9wR-Ryb3s[/video]

- CH

Heather

Practically Family
Not to be mean (heh heh) but I saw the Maguire Sisters on one of those PBS Oldies shows recently, and they looked like Egyptian mummies that had been dug up. Cosmetic surgery gone horribly wrong. They sounded OK, tho.

Omg, I saw that too! It was frightening and a little sad...

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
Just remembered another sister group, this one is way outside the norm. The DeZurik Sisters, also known as the Cackle Sisters made a career out of yodeling like chickens. If you can narrow your niche enough there's not much competition.[video=youtube;51UXGg9raGU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51UXGg9raGU[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo