Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bound vs. Raw Edge Brim?

Alexander

New in Town
Bound edge, yay or nay?

My opinion is that bound edges is a big YAY, but what do you prefer, bound or unbound? and yes, it depends on the hat but still I think the bound edges look better, always :)

/Alexander

trailrunner

Familiar Face
Alexander said:
My opinion is that bound edges is a big YAY, but what do you prefer, bound or unbound? and yes, it depends on the hat but still I think the bound edges look better, always :)

/Alexander

I'm not an always kind of guy. I like variety. I really love the look of a bound edge, but I wouldn't want it on every hat. I have a mode edge Stetson Twenty-Five, for example, that I don't think a bound edge would add anything to the look. Also, to me, it depends with what you plan to wear it. I think a raw edge is more versatile going well with anything from a three piece suit to a bull whip and bomber jacket;). Where, personally, I really prefer the bound edge with a suit, or a at least with more dressy casual.

duggap

Banned
For my way of thinking, the bound edge looks a little more dressy. I stopped wearing suits about ten years ago and don't intend to get dressy again so I prefer the non bound edge on my brim. Looks more casual. I do have three that are bound and they would do good for those occassions when a suit is unavoidable. :)

kaosharper1

One Too Many
For lightweight felts some type of bound edge is necessary, either ribbon or welted. Otherwise, anything goes. It sort of looks more dressey with a wide hatband, but with thin ribbons it doesn't. I think its good to have variety more than anything.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
It`s a very difficult balance...

Bound is more casual (different colors), except in a Homburg or Topper, but somehow unbound brings out the purity in the hat...

It`s a very fine balance...but the line is quite strong...I mean whether to have it bound or not...

Give you an example...the one in my Avartar...would it not look wrong bound!!?? Don`t you feel it should be unbound...!!??

Alexander

New in Town
daizawaguy said:
Give you an example...the one in my Avartar...would it not look wrong bound!!?? Don`t you feel it should be unbound...!!??

You´ve got a point there, hats like that one might look better unbound.:p

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I usually think of bound edges as dressier, and that's what goes with most of my outfits. For more casual occasions, I'd like to have a couple of hats with raw edges.

Bingles

A-List Customer
I'm all about the bound edge.. especially on a pork pie, worn with the brim up.

Spats McGee said:
I usually think of bound edges as dressier, and that's what goes with most of my outfits. For more casual occasions, I'd like to have a couple of hats with raw edges.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
I'm with the Baron: mix it up.

The collector in me tends to regard the bound brim as a slightly more exquisite object; but when the hat's on your head, it really depends upon your attitude du jour. If you're feeling punk, all that extra ribbon's going to annoy you.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Depends on the particular hat, depends on the color of hat and ribbon it's bound with. On some hats it looks great, the finishing touch the hat needs. On others, the look's not so good.

Viper Man

Banned
Mike in Seattle said:
Depends on the particular hat, depends on the color of hat and ribbon it's bound with. On some hats it looks great, the finishing touch the hat needs. On others, the look's not so good.

I agree. Same goes with over vs. underwelt.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I am a firm believer that bound edges rule over all other brim treatments (or the lack there-of), and specifically wide brim bindings.

However, I am not a totalitarian extremist. Raw edges, welts, whip-stitch, and cavs all have there place and their charms. A nice hat is a nice hat, no matter how you slice the brim. :D

TiltRotorFlyer

One of the Regulars
OK I am frustrated....searched for a long time to ascertain the answer to this question. I like a raw edge but is a bound brim more durable? Please weigh in with your thoughts or at least a link for me to educate myself! Many thanks indeed!

James71

A-List Customer
I cant really speak for durable. Every hat I have had with a bound brim wore out before the binding on the brim showed any wear. They are all Akubras though, so I cant speak for other brands. I go through a cattleman ever second year or so, and they always lose their shape and go floppy before any issues with the binding on the brim.

All my hats are bound. I dont think they look finished without the binding. Just my 0.02.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany