Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bows take a bow

Hückel Weilheim Special

6786725444_22f41a9d05_b.jpg

6786753444_9680b79634_b.jpg

Here's a few bows that I did....

4X OR. Contrasting 6 ply ribbon with just the keeper. I also hid the stitching on this one...

XXXX_04.jpg

XXXX_05.jpg

3X OR. Contrasting mid-ribbon with double bow...

The_3_X_05.jpg

Another of my 3X OR conversions with a double bow...

3_X_CD_02.jpg

Akubra Squatter with Burgandy ribbon and double bow. I hid the stitching on this one as well...

Black_Beast_02.jpg

Resistol Stagecoach with Campaign style ribbon...

RS_04.jpg

RS_05.jpg

Another Stagecoach with campaign style ribbon...

R_Silverbelly_02.jpg

My Knox 15 Westlite with contrasting OR style ribbon....

Knox_19.jpg

Knox_15_top_view.jpg
you definitely got it going on , they are sweet, i love the last hat and bow

fedoracentric

Banned
Here is a style I had never seen before...

Borsalino_40s.jpg

Now this isn't mine. The seller on ebay said it is a 40s era Borsalino. It is clear that its a Borso, but there was no liner inside, so age is unknown to me. The leather sweatband met in back without being sewn together.

Now, I have seen the style where the ribbon carries through the knot and ends in a single-sided bow. But I've never seen a ribbon end inside the knot having no bow at all in the way this one does it.
It is difference, I think.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
how do you do the overlap (center of the bow) is it separate , part of the bow , what stitch is used

Hey B C, I make my ribbons and bows seperate. There's some pretty good tutorials here on the lounge somewhere. John Galt, TheDane, (Ole). kingrat has also offered suggestions to me as well. have contributed some of their methods to making bows as well. For me, personally, I like to keep my bows and ribbon work simple and clean. The trim work should contribute to the hat's overall character as opposed to being the hat's sole character. For myself, I gravitate more toward thin ribbons and mid-ribbons. I really don't care much for anything over an 1 1/2 wide. But that's just my preference. I use a very thin stitch when I put on my ribbons. I place the stiches as close to the bottom of the ribbon as I can, between the ribs. I don't place my stitches in the middle of the ribbon or on the front of the hat where they can easily be seen. When I tie off the stitch inside the hat, I want it just snug, but not tight. It's also important to find closely matching thread to the color of the ribbon. Afterward, I tack on my bow using the same stitching principle as for the ribbon....anyway, here's one tutorial I found for making a simple double bow. Your hat, I think, would look pretty good with either a Western style thin ribbon and bow, or with a mid-ribbon and simple bow...

http://dalexs.whitvani.net/hat/hatpage.html

Here's my late '40s Imperial Stetson in Suede finish...

Imperial_03.jpg

This is another double bow I did recently using the hidden stitch method...

Bow_01.jpg

Bow_03.jpg

Here's a Royal Stetson OR...

R_Stetson_05.jpg

R_Stetson_03.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a style I had never seen before...

Now this isn't mine. The seller on ebay said it is a 40s era Borsalino. It is clear that its a Borso, but there was no liner inside, so age is unknown to me. The leather sweatband met in back without being sewn together.

Now, I have seen the style where the ribbon carries through the knot and ends in a single-sided bow. But I've never seen a ribbon end inside the knot having no bow at all in the way this one does it.
It is difference, I think.

I believe I just posted a few of them in this thread. They are fairly common with 1950s German hats.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo