Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boy recalls past life as a fighter pilot

kampkatz

Practically Family
There was a film made in the 1950's about a boy who was the reincarnation of a WW1 pilot who was shotdown. The boy had a natural inclination to fly and became an airline pilot. An elderly woman gets on one day and the pilot's memory is jarred to recalling more of the WW1 pilot's life. It turned that the woman was engaged to the WW1 pilot. A fascinating, and well done film as I recall. I think it was titled "I Lived Before" or something close to it.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I have my Christian religious beliefs but I also have my own spiritual beliefs which don't conflict at all up in my head and among them is a belief in parallel universes, split soul co-existences, past and future lives. Thankfully this isn't the place to discuss this because I'm quite frankly getting tired of explaining and defending my beliefs. There are many youtube videos on that subject too.

Is this the one?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EWwzFwUOxA

I take offense to the insinuation that it gives them more credibility that they're highly educated and modern.:mad:

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Im in the same boat as you, I was raised Catholic and have alternative beliefs as well that coincide with my own experiences. I don't talk about them because I hate the avalanche of insinuations, and the uhhh witch hunts that go on.

Yup thats the story. Yeah I know. I take offense to them marketing their kids story.

JennyLou

Practically Family
I use to have a friend who dressed golden era everyday. He said that he believed he had been killed during WWII in his past life. His mom believed that in one of her past lives that she died on the Titanic.

kampkatz

Practically Family
Not to spin this into a theological discussion, since the story is really beyond any rational explanation, but if you believe in God then anything is possible. No human beings can put limitations on God. If God wants to "recycle" souls who is to say otherwise? I can say that as an ordained Christian minister with a Master of Divinity degree, knowing that someone will respond negatively.
However, no civilization has the ultimate knowledge or "in" concerning our Creator.

priestyboy

One of the Regulars
kampkatz said:
Not to spin this into a theological discussion, since the story is really beyond any rational explanation, but if you believe in God then anything is possible. No human beings can put limitations on God. If God wants to "recycle" souls who is to say otherwise? I can say that as an ordained Christian minister with a Master of Divinity degree, knowing that someone will respond negatively.
However, no civilization has the ultimate knowledge or "in" concerning our Creator.

With an MDiv too, I say AMEN! I have ordered the book and will read it with an open mind. It is us who puts limits on God.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
People, please can we avoid the off-topic to-and-fro about the relative merits of supposedly competing belief systems? When this happens, interesting threads tend to get shut down for fear of... :eek: ...controversy.

Opinion's great, but can I appeal for on-topic opinion?

Let's not get yet another slightly off-beam thread shut down due to dithering and blithering about who's got the best ideas about The Beyond.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Like some others here, I agree that you can't "fit God in a box". I just wanted to share this website that some may be interested in concerning children's past lives.

Carol Bowman: Children's Past Lives.

I don't mind talking privately with anyone here either on the subject - folks are free to PM me. I generally don't open up about it either due to the "witch hunts".

But those who believe are free to talk with me. :)

Mike K.

One Too Many
There are so many things in this world that science has yet to answer, that faith can only hope to explain. The world needs its mysteries.

This is a truly remarkable story. Personally, I am far less interested in what can be learned about reincarnation than what this can teach us about the past. Even if the whole thing turns out to be some sort of hoax, we at least have learned the forgotten story behind one valiant airman who served his country.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
kampkatz said:

When you think about it, reincarnation is just as rational as the idea that you live once and die for ever, or that you live once and go to heaven or hell or paradise.

Any one could be true and none is more rational or reasonable than the other. Besides t hat, it isn't as if all the world believes one and a few believe the other. Reincarnation is a natural rational spiritual belief held by many millions of people. now, if you are a christian, and believe in the bible somewhat literally, then you might not believe in reincarnation. Not being a bible scholar, I suspect that abroad interpretation could still allow for reincarnation.

I pretty much believe in it. have for years. But I don't put much effort into it. Seems to make sense to me.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Well, belief in Hell only really showed up in the New Testament. And some Jews believe in reincarnation. So depending on version of the bible and what you consider a broad interpretation, it's definitely possible.

Incorporeal13

Familiar Face
I think its definitely a possibility that it's real. I've read a lot of books and a lot of peoples reports of having past lives/past life experiences. While I'm sure any number of them could be pure persuasion or false, some of them do tend to be a little too specific to be rebutted without severely good reason.
While I'm a firm believer in the supernatural, I understand that many people aren't and may never be. I suppose it just falls into the category of who can or will believe and who won't. As far as I'm concerned, who know what happens? Anything to me is possible. It could be a continued consciousness in the human race, it could be memories from a true past life, it could be a ghost, who knows. [huh]
I do agree that they shouldn't be marketing the boys experiences. But once again, who knows, maybe he'll have a very interesting childhood for it.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
I just figure that reincarnation goes with the scientific principle that energy cannot be created nor destroyed only transformed and transferred - so to me, the soul being that energy, simply reincarnates.

I've often wondered, when I'd go to WWII events, that these kids who show a more "genuine" interest in the history have had past lives during that war.

I remember when I had gone to see the King Tut exhibit in Philly a couple of years back, and this one boy was really interested in all the various gods and goddesses of ancient Egypt and was teaching his mother about them.

Granted some kids have their "moments" where it is just a passing thing, but there are others who do show the more "genuine" interest and passion.

Personally - I don't think that this airman's story could have been told if he didn't reincarnate.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
An old poem comes to mind.....

"Through a Glass, Darkly"

Through the travail of the ages,
Midst the pomp and toil of war,
Have I fought and strove and perished
Countless times upon this star
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.