Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brass Rooster Hat Co.

DougC

Practically Family
I'm taking my son to Kenosha/Chicago for a couple college visits-I planned on going by Optimo and might make my way to the Brass Rooster. Nice looking place!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
When the school rush is over, they'll be getting some dosh from me! I like this venture, the spirit, the execution the balls! I'm willing to put some green where my heart is!

Worf

DesertDan

One Too Many
Don't know how I missed the Kickstarter campaign but glad to see that it was successful beyond your original goal.

Banky

One of the Regulars
Don't know how I missed the Kickstarter campaign but glad to see that it was successful beyond your original goal.

Didn't bring it to the lounge if there's interest, I'll post more information about the line and our future plans. After I clear it with the owners.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
It may be just me, but browsing through the Custom Hat Gallery I'm not impressed at all. I really like the decor of the shop, but the hats leave me with a substantial hunger for attention to details. I don't know if the ribbon used is modern, stiff grosgrain - or it is not ironed/pressed into shape before sewn onto the crown. Anyway, the result is by no means satisfactory in my eyes, and that also goes for some of the brim bindings and other details.

Sorry if this sounds negative. It's a wonderful initiative, and I really think you have a great project going, but my honest opinion is that you still have quite some way to go, before the quality level is adequate for a handmade (custom) hat. If you are able to raise the quality and put more attention into details, I'm sure you'll have great success. Just my two cents [huh]

Banky

One of the Regulars
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. In the last year especially our quality has come up substantially we've sourced better sweats, improved our pouncing techniques, and become better hatters overall. In our defense, the gallery has not been updated all that regularly. Did you get a chance to look at our line photos? http://www.brassrooster.com/The_Brass_Rooster/Brass_Rooster_Hat_Line.html They're newer hats and I think speak more to our abilities than some of the dated gallery photos.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Banky: You are right, the hats in the line looks a lot better, but I too would like to see them closer up - and maybe in more different views (angles). If you've become so much better, you really should edit your gallery. "Opinion" or not ... many of the pictures there are probably not good for business ;)

Banky

One of the Regulars
haha, I'll pass that on. You gotta remember I'm just the apprentice. I hope you don't think my post was taking on any form of a mocking tone. Constructive criticism is just as important as positive feedback, none of us think we're God's gift to hatting and certainly wouldn't try to put out that attitude. I'm sure more established hatters like Art for example, would agree that hatting is always a learning process.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I hope you don't think my post was taking on any form of a mocking tone. [...] I'm sure more established hatters like Art for example, would agree that hatting is always a learning process.

Absolutely not! My intentions were friendly and just to give some honest feedback - and I'm convinced you understood that. The latter I think we safely can broadened to: "Being human (and similar details) is always a learning process". I guess my distilled advice would be: "Show the latest examination papers" ;)

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Visited Milwaukee's Brass Rooster

I finally made it to The Brass Rooster for a visit last week. What a great bunch of folks! John and “Banky” took time to show me some of the projects they’re into nowadays. There’s the line of hats they’re making from NOS Mallory bodies they found stored somewhere. The bodies are still in pristine condition and the hats they make are as light as a feather. Then there’s the fine custom straws they’re making for the summer season. And there’s the new Stetsons (including a new OR) that the Brass Roster will soon be carrying. If I understood John correctly, Matt Deckard helped Stetson introduce new versions of existing models made from lighter, softer, more vintage-like felt. John let me examine an “advance copy” of the new OR. I can tell you it is very close to my vintage Open Roads in terms of feel and weight.

Finally, they measured my huge noggin’ so they’ll have my size on file. As John put it, that’s so I can sit with my toes in the sand on some North Carolina beach and order up a Brass Rooster custom, just by using my cell phone. BTW, I know it doesn't look like I'm dressed for July, but after leaving North Carolina and temps in the mid-ninties, long pants and a hoodie felt nice in Bayview.

IMG_48178476550595_zps9500535e.jpg

AF

Last edited:

RJR

I had a good experience with them(Banky)on a cap made from U S military blankets.Nicely made and a portion of the cost goes to benefit veterans.

oak1971

Familiar Face
Brass Rooster, Milwaukee hatters

Just trying to get the word out. John and Kate make custom hats by hand and are wonderful folks.

verdeo

New in Town
Oak, right you are! I stumbled across them a few weeks ago and Reggie helped me fit a couple of hats I had acquired elsewhere. I was so impressed with their hat designs and with their kind demeanor and hospitality. As things settle down for me after the holidays...will be looking for a custom from there.

Really, really nice people!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21