Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Breaking Starch"

Mossyrock

One of the Regulars
This may be seen by some as a strange fetish of sorts, but after having spent almost a quarter of a century in the US Army, one of my favorite parts of the day was to put on a freshly pressed and starched uniform from the laundry. I routinely requested heavy starch, and my uniforms would almost stand up on their own! Sometimes putting on a heavily starched uniform could be a bit of a struggle, with the pant legs being essentially glued together with starch. Put on a crispy new uniform and a highly shined pair of boots, and you were stylin'!

Fast forward a couple of years....I retired from the military and had to go out and get a REAL job :eek: that required me to actually CHOOSE my clothes on a daily basis (not an easy task after 25 years of uniforms). I ended up buying quite a few sets of khakis, microfiber dress pants and dress shirts, all of which were wash and wear. I recently bought several shirts and a pair of khakis that were advertised as being permanent press, but when you took them out of the dryer, it looked like you had slept in them. I dropped them off at the cleaners the other day to be laundered and starched, and put them on this morning.....Ahhhh. THAT'S what I was missing! :D Nothing quite like putting on a freshly pressed and starched shirt first thing in the morning!

Mike K.

One Too Many
I love the smell of starch in the morning. It smells like...victory!
29108_000bb9gp.jpg

:D :D :D

MPicciotto

Practically Family
I was able to obtain some early Air Force (1949-53ish) uniforms. The "Suntans" Khaki Tropical shirts are so starched that you could play Frisbee with them. Those weren't yours were they? :D

On the other end of the spectrum is my 100% cotton "Safari" shirt that I call my "Ever-Wrinkle" It has never been starched. Once I tried ironing it. The moment I shut off the iron the shirt began wrinkling lol

Matt

Mossyrock said:
This may be seen by some as a strange fetish of sorts, but after having spent almost a quarter of a century in the US Army, one of my favorite parts of the day was to put on a freshly pressed and starched uniform from the laundry. I routinely requested heavy starch, and my uniforms would almost stand up on their own! Sometimes putting on a heavily starched uniform could be a bit of a struggle, with the pant legs being essentially glued together with starch. Put on a crispy new uniform and a highly shined pair of boots, and you were stylin'!

Fast forward a couple of years....I retired from the military and had to go out and get a REAL job :eek: that required me to actually CHOOSE my clothes on a daily basis (not an easy task after 25 years of uniforms). I ended up buying quite a few sets of khakis, microfiber dress pants and dress shirts, all of which were wash and wear. I recently bought several shirts and a pair of khakis that were advertised as being permanent press, but when you took them out of the dryer, it looked like you had slept in them. I dropped them off at the cleaners the other day to be laundered and starched, and put them on this morning.....Ahhhh. THAT'S what I was missing! :D Nothing quite like putting on a freshly pressed and starched shirt first thing in the morning!

Ah yes, that feeling of putting on a freshly starched shirt and having to pry open the chest pocket. :D :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap You are preaching to the choir with me. I love starched clothing. :D

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I guess I fall on the opposite end of the spectrum as I cannot stand the stuff. I prefer the comfort of starchless shirts, of course you get wrinkles but those are the breaks...

MisterGrey

Practically Family
I think this might be fairly common among servicemen, at least in the US. My own father served in the army, and recalls he would sometimes try to get his shirt to stand up on its own after getting it back from the cleaners. He found it highly unusual to re-adjust to wearing denim work shirts when he left (he got out at the end of the 60s).

Mossyrock

One of the Regulars
MisterGrey said:
He found it highly unusual to re-adjust to wearing denim work shirts when he left (he got out at the end of the 60s).

You know, that brings up another starchy memory! Before I decided to play Army, I worked as a carpenter. My last job involved concrete construction with lots of iron work. It was very common for the welders to wear stiffly starched denim shirts. Why? The starched shirts had less of a chance of burning if they caught a stray spark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy